WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can't get UK keymap to load  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Triophile

Can't get UK keymap to load
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:37:16 PM »
Hi, guys.

I've had a look at a couple of previous posts and added the following line to /opt/bootlocal.sh

loadkmap < /usr/share/kmap/qwerty/uk

This, however, doesn't seem to load the British keymap. I'm not new to Linux, but I am inexperienced with the command line and stuff like this. Does the line I've added need to be preceeded by a # or anything?

Another quick question: when do I have to press F2 at the startup of a persistent installation of TC to enter a boot code? Is F2 even the right key? Tried it a couple of times and getting some square brackets and the letter B from what I remember...

Otherwise, I absolutely love TC. I've tried a number of other Linux installs (Zorin, CrashBang, Puppy, etc), and want something similar to the DSL a friend helped to install on an old laptop five or six years ago. TC really is a great way for me to learn more about the nuts and bolts of Linux, while having the ease of a GUI, the simplicity of a package manager, and the joy of blazing speed.

Cheers, Jon.

Offline Triophile

Re: Can't get UK keymap to load
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
Sorry, should have added I've already installed kmaps.tcz

Thought my search terms were OK, but just saw post a few down from mine re Finnish keymap. I'll try the action specified in the relevant link.

Basic Linux, still tricky for me :-)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:40:58 PM by Triophile »

Offline Triophile

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »
Sigh, rapidly losing the will to live...

Followed the link re creating a xorg conf file to set up the keyboard layout - it talks about creating /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I can't use EmelFM2 to create the new directory X11 in /etc/: permission is denied. Presumably I have to create the file as root, but I see no option to run EmelFM2 as root. If I click the icon in EmelFM2 'Run command as root', it just appears to take me to a command-line pop-up. Given the fact that I'm using EmelFM2 in order to avoid doing such things with the command line, with which I'm currently very inexperienced, this is more than a little frustrating!

Any help much appreciated, Jon.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:21:36 PM »
Hi Triophile
Open a terminal and enter
Code: [Select]
sudo emelfm2Your file manager is now running as root.

Offline Triophile

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:04:11 AM »
Thanks Rich. I'll do that.

I can see the time really has come for me to invest in a book on CLI. Any recommendations?

Cheers, Jon.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 05:37:18 AM »
Just a couple of days ago, I started emelfm2 from the desktop menu instead of from its icon (I just about -never- use the menu) and noticed that there is a a menu item to run emelfm2 as root.

So many times I've opened a terminal window just so I could type "sudo emelfm2 &" and I didn't need to.

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:01:21 AM »
Hi Triophile
Sorry, I don't know which books do a good job on the subject. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:06:56 AM »
Sorry, should have added I've already installed kmaps.tcz

Thought my search terms were OK, but just saw post a few down from mine re Finnish keymap. I'll try the action specified in the relevant link.

Basic Linux, still tricky for me :-)

Checked isount site, there is a large collection of books to download on subject.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
Your command was not complete, the path is to uk.kmap not to a file called uk. Still, it would be easier to use the kmap bootcode (kmap=qwerty/uk).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Triophile

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Rich, I tried 'sudo emelfm2' and hit return, but got an endlessly repeated line, 'Don't run this as root' in the terminal. When I closed the terminal and started emelfm2 from the left-click menu (not icon), still no joy.

Lee: doesn't work for me, unfortunately.

BMarkus: did you mean 'isoHunt'? Tried there, looks promising, be downloading soon.

Curaga: thanks, that got it sorted! I'm going to have to pay rather more attention to what I'm doing (and try not to do it in the middle of the night).

Offline Triophile

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »
Spending a bit more time on the wiki at the moment.

As far as running emelfm2 as root goes, now I know to enter 'sudo su' in the terminal, hit return, type 'emelfm2', hit return, and I can now create directories, etc, as root in emelfm2. With this degree of knowledge, I could really wreck my TC! Fingers crossed...

Cheers, Jon.

Offline drumaliens

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 03:44:33 AM »
Your command was not complete, the path is to uk.kmap not to a file called uk. Still, it would be easier to use the kmap bootcode (kmap=qwerty/uk).

I know that this is a bit late to the party but after struggling the above is what I did and it works a treat. Just edit the extlinux.conf file (which in my case was at mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux) and added in keymap = qwerty/uk.  This then loads in every time I boot up.