WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Setup of a central data server (1TB); howto?  (Read 2222 times)

Offline floppy

Setup of a central data server (1TB); howto?
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:01:07 AM »
I would like to reorganize my data saving at home (we have 3 different PCs with professional data and private data like photo, 1 TV with access to data via LAN, 1 iPOD): install a data server for backups and access for films from my TV with LAN connection.
I am thinking about a PC with 1TB (raid in 3x 1TB).
So now, how to..
- choose the right HW? how to build it?
- find books/internet links for installing the central data server?
or perhaps for a newbie like me its too much and I should ask for a professional to do it..
Few recommendation where/how to start are welcome.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Setup of a central data server (1TB); howto?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
File serving doesn't really need much cpu, so the only hw criteria would be enough sata ports. There are some nice barebones boxes (add-your-own ram and disks) if you don't feel confident in building your own.

The software is fairly easy to setup as well, of course depending on what you need from it (ftp? samba? upnp media?).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Setup of a central data server (1TB); howto?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
Hi floppy
You should probably use software RAID for this. If for some reason you decide to purchase a hardware
RAID card, buy two of them and verify they both work so you have backup card. RAID cards are not
necessarily interchangeable and if it fails a few years from now you might find that card is no longer
being made.
An alternative would be to use two drives, a primary and a backup. Use  hdparm.tcz  to set the spin
down time on the backup drive to five minutes to reduce wear and tear. Find a backup utility that can
scan the drives copying over only modified files and let that run once a day during off hours.