General TC > General TC Talk

TC Xorg installation strategy

<< < (5/6) > >>

Yleisajattelija:
Sorry delay, HD2000 installation is now OK.

Just read TC Xorg installation docs, Xorg extension have to be loaded from command line.

Get rid of X with <ctrl><alt><backspace>, and then "tce-load -wi Xorg7.6.tcz", restart X with "startx", should load without crash.

Juanito:

--- Quote from: Juanito on January 20, 2012, 03:30:53 AM ---BTW, just to be clear, 3d doesn't work with any hardware requiring the intel driver at the moment...

--- End quote ---

A bit late to pick this thread up again I know, but it just occurred to me to use the "script" command to get something on permanent storage before the crash using 3d acceleration with intel hardware and, on two different machines:
--- Code: ---$ script /mnt/sda4/tmp/test
$ glxinfo
[crash, reboot]
$ cat /mnt/sda4/tmp/test | grep -i "opengl\|direct\|server\|client"
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile  x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
--- End code ---

..and:
--- Code: ---$ cat /mnt/sdb1/tmp/test | grep -i "opengl\|direct\|server\|client"
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM  x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.10.3
--- End code ---

..so the 3d graphics is starting up and then crashing - kind of strange that this happens on old hardware - i945 - which worked with Xorg-7.5

Yleisajattelija:
TC "ideology" owns two spesific problems with Xorg:

a) TC is missing runlevels -> no proprietary state-machine for installation
b) Xvesa is needed before Xorg -> have to load and unload Xvesa driver modules before loading Xorg

Seems that Xvesa module-unload-cleaning process is not solid, and Xorg modules cannot load after Xvesa without total X-init. This is probably untested situation, because "normal distroes" does Xvesa load OR Xorg load, not both.

a) + b) means that there is no way to change Xvesa to Xorg without manual X shutdown.

That GPU-core on Sandbridge architechture is awful mess, I think only way is to wait until Intel get that 3D driver stabile.

That is very diffucult task to get Core-i family uP/GPU internal bus traffic to syncronize without lockups etc. on multicore environment.

Nowdays Intel is putting lot of effort to Linux-port, so I think that will eventually work flawless.

Juanito:

--- Quote from: Yleisajattelija on April 19, 2012, 12:30:54 AM ---b) Xvesa is needed before Xorg -> have to load and unload Xvesa driver modules before loading Xorg

--- End quote ---
'Not totally sure I've understood your point, but I run an intel hd3000 machine with core64 and Xorg-7.6 without using/loading Xvesa (which will not work with core64 anyway)

--- Quote ---That GPU-core on Sandbridge architechture is awful mess, I think only way is to wait until Intel get that 3D driver stabile.

--- End quote ---
I've tried several combinations of intel driver/mesa/libdrm all without 3d success - agreed.

--- Quote ---That is very diffucult task to get Core-i family uP/GPU internal bus traffic to syncronize without lockups etc. on multicore environment.

--- End quote ---
Again not sure what is meant by this, but the machine above - quad core i7/hd3000 works for weeks at a time without problems...

curaga:

--- Quote ---a) + b) means that there is no way to change Xvesa to Xorg without manual X shutdown.
--- End quote ---

This situation is not special. The same happens when your distro is running the FOSS radeon driver and you install the AMD binary driver. You need a full reboot in that case, though, an X restart is not enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version