WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: USB EXT HD inaccessible  (Read 3687 times)

Offline remus

USB EXT HD inaccessible
« on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
I have just unplugged a 750GB USB Ext Hard from a machine running linux, and I forgot to "umount" the drive first.

Now the data on the drive is inaccessible.

Any Idea how I repair the problem ?
Live long and prosper.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: USB EXT HD inaccessible
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:30:02 PM »
Hi remus
I think you need to run one of the  fsck  utilities, but I would suggest googling for the exact
instructions for the file system type on the drive. Use  AppBrowsers  Provides  function to find  fsck.

Offline remus

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:15:11 PM »
Hi Rich,

I tried
Code: [Select]
chkdsk d: /FFrom windows xp first, which replaced my 750gb ntfs partition with a 99mb fat32 partition  :o

Bit of googling led me to a tool called ntfsfix which is a part of the ntfs-3g suite (I don't know if its included in the tinycore ntfs-3g extension atm)

But by then it was too late :(

I've nuked the ext hard drive and cut my losses :(

I've add'ed a 200gb fat 32 partition, which I'll reserve for my "Ping Is Not Ghost" images, I'm hoping the fat32 fs will play nice if I forget to umount a drive in future before rebooting.

!! DOH !! I should of createed a 200gb ext3 partition, i'll set that up after the current image batch is taken care off.
Live long and prosper.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »
Hi remus
I'm hoping the fat32 fs will play nice if I forget to umount a drive in future before rebooting.
It's likely that there was still a write in progress when you unplugged the drive. I would not go with
a  FAT  file system for robustness, though I would consider EXT3, but not before reviewing the
various journaling options, as some are faster while others are safer. Consider doing a  sync command
in the future after writing to a removable drive.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
Sorry this is late, but next time try testdisk with the drive connected directly to the motherboards SATA port (ie absolutely not via a usb).  At least you're off FAT32..   I think there is even an extension..   

I can't tell you the number of times testdisk has saved my life, my girlfriends life (which also means my life) and many many other folk's lives.

There is no perfect file system, whilst a backup is cheap insurance.

Offline remus

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »
Thx coreplayer2,

Details about testdisk
----------------------
Title:          testdisk-6.11.3.tcz
Description:    TestDisk & PhotoRec, Data Recovery
Version:        6.11.3
Author:         Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
Original-site:   http://www.cgsecurity.org
Copying-Policy: GNU GPL
Extension_by:   jpeters
Comments:       testdisk --help
                photorec --help

Size:           1.8M
Change-log:
Current:        2009/05/29
----------------------
I'm downloaded it and have it ready for next time ;)

ntfsfix is a part of the ntfs-3g.tcz extension kit.

My usb ext hd is sealed up in a western digital branded case, its a 2.5in drive by the size off it.
I'll have a look on google and see if there is a howto to take it apart without breaking it.
Live long and prosper.

Offline remus

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:07:44 AM »
The Drive I"m talking about is a WESTERN DIGITAL ELEMENTS 2.5 750GB 5400rpm

Heres a video of how to open the thing
OPEN WESTERN DIGITAL ELEMENTS 2.5 750GB 5400rpm

so I can use the tools coreplayer2 is talking about.
I could also then test the drive with actual western digital hd diagnostic software.

Live long and prosper.

Offline remus

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:01:42 AM »
 >:(

NOTE FOR 750GB / 1TB: The latest 750TB / 1TB SE Elements drive no longer has a standard SATA interface. I just took apart my drive and found that the USB port is now integrated to the drive itself and instead of a SATA interface there are 12 ATA-style pins that are covered by the LED.

So....
Always look on the bright side, I may not be able to attach the drive to a sata port on a pc and test it properly, but I now know not to buy that particular type of drive without asking some questions next time :)
Live long and prosper.

Offline coreplayer2

USB EXT HD inaccessible
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:33:30 PM »
There are many seldom used interfaces, like scsi etc etc.  you might try googling drive interfaces

If its new then it won't be long before there are adaptors available.  Whether data recovery or any drive tools will function through the adaptor   Is not known, for sure very few tools can access a drive through a USB port.

Let's see a picture

Offline remus

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »
Should be able to get some pics on Monday 20-01-2012, its called a micro usb connector by the way, a few guys have posted that it totally replaces the old sata connector, and is actually a part of the circuit board itself.
Live long and prosper.