WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: syslinux update request  (Read 7567 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
syslinux update request
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »
rep: 4.01
upsteram: 4.05
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline coreplayer2

Re: syslinux update request
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:07:15 PM »
Thanks for the heads up :)   hopefully they have addressed the bug which prevents booting on some old equipment.  Will be looking out for this update

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
4.04 wouldn't even compile, but I'll try to look at 4.05 this weekend

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 05:19:02 AM »
posted

Offline genec

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »
4.04 wouldn't even compile, but I'll try to look at 4.05 this weekend

Depending on the error, it might have been one I fixed.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »
Oh oh!  errors installing :(

When installing or updateing, a switch is required  -i -u etc..
Also when
sudo extlinux /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux
the return is
extlinux /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux  is device /dev/sda1

which is odd because I figured it would have been  /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux  ??

Anyhow, extlinux refuses to install to any of those paths

either the app returns the device is /dev/sda1  or  not a directory !

However, I do have a copy of Idlinux.sys in   /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:21:02 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
So, this doesn't work?:
Run the extlinux installer on the directory in which you want extlinux installed:

extlinux --install /boot

Specify --install (-i) to install for the first time, or --update (-U) to upgrade a previous installation.

NOTE: this doesn't have to be the root directory of a filesystem.
   If /boot is a filesystem, you can do:

mkdir -p /boot/extlinux
   extlinux --install /boot/extlinux

... to create a subdirectory and install extlinux in it.
   /boot/extlinux is the recommended location for extlinux.

2. The configuration file is called "extlinux.conf", and is expected to be found in the same directory as extlinux is installed in.

Note that EXTLINUX installs in the filesystem partition like a well-behaved bootloader :)  Thus, it needs a master boot record in the partition table; the mbr.bin shipped with SYSLINUX should work well.
To install it just do:

cat mbr.bin > /dev/XXX

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
The only method I could accomplish is install or update to  /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux  which only placed Idlinux.sys into this location (not sure if a cfg file was intended to be installed there to but there was no cfg file).   I then copied Idlinux.sys over to the correct location /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux  am not sure if the mbr was updated or not however the system rebooted with the original cfg file untouched :)

I used the install instructions from the info file  and with the above modification now boots to syslinux 4.05 :)  thanks
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:50:15 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline genec

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:23:26 PM »
The only method I could accomplish is install or update to  /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux  which only placed Idlinux.sys into this location (not sure if a cfg file was intended to be installed there to but there was no cfg file).   I then copied Idlinux.sys over to the correct location /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux  am not sure if the mbr was updated or not however the system rebooted with the original cfg file untouched :)

I used the install instructions from the info file  and with the above modification now boots to syslinux 4.05 :)  thanks

1) Why bother moving/copying after install?  Install to the _correct_ location the first time.
2) The MBR is _not_ touched by the Linux installers.
3) The installer does nothing to touch your config.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
1) Why bother moving/copying after install?  Install to the _correct_ location the first time.

lol  yes exactly  but tried that and failed, repeatedly.  see above.

Just following instructions here, which as you can see does not have the correct path..  and also indicated a change to the config file during install/update..

Howto:
                $ sudo mkdir -p /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux
                $ sudo extlinux /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux
                copy and rename config from tinycore iso...
                $ sudo cp /path-to-file/isolinux.cfg /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
                ----------
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:14:51 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline genec

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 08:24:10 PM »
Output of "/mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux  is device /dev/sda1" is perfect.  The device (not the file system mount directory) is /dev/sda1.

You say it refused to install but had the ldlinux.sys file.  Did you try booting?  What were the results?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 01:26:39 AM »
Ok I understand now, the extension installs to the expected directory as per tc 4.1..   Unfortunately  this boot directory location has changed in core-plus 4.2.1 to /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux,

after running " sudo extlinux -u /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux " we have two instances of ldlinux.sys installed

one copy in /mnt/sda1/boot/extlinux
and the original in /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux

Where's the consistency in this?

Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:28:15 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline genec

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »
syslinux.tcz.info should have both examples.  4.0-4.1 using boot/extlinux and 4.2+ using tce/boot/extlinux relative to the file system's root.

coreplayer, if you do the following
Code: [Select]
sudo extlinux /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinuxdoes it work?  (Since the directory and config already exist).

As of Syslinux-4, EXTLINUX as a bootloader has been merged into SYSLINUX with syslinux being the unmounted FAT-only SYSLINUX installer and extlinux being the mounted all-purpose SYSLINUX installer.  extlinux.conf now takes priority in SYSLINUX and syslinux.cfg is the secondary config filename for both ISOLINUX and SYSLINUX.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »
syslinux.tcz.info should have both examples.  4.0-4.1 using boot/extlinux and 4.2+ using tce/boot/extlinux relative to the file system's root.

Cool  right there,  this answers the issue.  just that the info file didn't expand on this procedure thanks.  Which is why I moved the files manually.

btw  I did show the extract from the info file above, right?     no mention of the the 4.2 support.   so did it manually as explained earlier.  but now I know thanks

coreplayer, if you do the following
Code: [Select]
sudo extlinux /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinuxdoes it work?  (Since the directory and config already exist).

fortunately in the end yes it works but not work exactly as described, no big deal just obscure and info file is lacking some guidance is all.   I already had it figured out and configured, just it might be disconcerting for some newbies like me :p

Thanks for updating this extension
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:51:33 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline tweetyhack

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
@bmarkus, is there some specific reason(feature/bug) to update? Syslinux is very touchy as I have had newer versions break documented funtionality. If there were good reasons to update, great. Just as long as it doesn't break anything.