WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: 2.0alpha4 & skype  (Read 15553 times)

Offline crim

Re: 2.0alpha4 & skype
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 09:41:58 AM »
Thanks for suggesting this wine/skype workaround as an alternative until linux-skype is working on tc2.

I'm using an eeepc 701 and half of the wine config screens are cut in half by the small screen. I don't know how to resize them. There are no scroll bars and I can't get at the wine settings to change them or access the apply/save butttons.
I carried on regardless with 'wine  skype-setup.exe'  - but the skype-setup.exe window tells me that there is 0 space allocated to the c: drive and won't go any further. I'm guessing there is an offscreen setting in winecfg that needs changing, but I can't get to it.

Has anybody successfully used wine on an eeepc 701 in tc2? How do I change window sizes? I've tried the usual alt-left click but that doesn't work in wine for me. Thanks for any assistance.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 09:47:07 AM »

I carried on regardless with 'wine skype-setup.exe' - but the skype-setup.exe window tells me that there is 0 space allocated to the c: drive and won't go any further. I'm guessing there is an offscreen setting in winecfg that needs changing, but I can't get to it.

I got that but ignored it. It's about 30M, and defaults to .wine/drive_c/Program Files/ . I'm sure there's a wine download configuration somewhere. edit: make .wine into a link to your harddrive ??
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:58:12 AM by jpeters »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
there are two ways around the issue (this is on the forum somewhere.) one is to use other media, i just installed the windows software to usb. the other is to use a different form of "tmpfs" than tc usually uses.

Offline crim

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how to make .wine a link to my hard-drive or how to change tmpfs and both sound complicated so I went for the 'use other media' suggestion.

I managed to get skype to open and messaging works. The skypecall functions are there as well but audio doesn't work for me ('soundcard doesn't support direct access'). It feels a bit fragile though, has thrown several exception faults when opening and doesn't seem to exit properly when closed (I have to ctl-z to exit wine).

However I've been able to use it for messaging and it didn't crash once it was up and running which is good enough for me at the moment. It also survived a reboot and still works. Thanks.

Here's what I did if anyone else using an eeepc 701 is interested, bear in mind that I know nothing about Linux, Windows or computing and I'm 100% sure better ways exist but, this is what worked for me.

I installed skype to a windows formatted SD card from within TC using wine;

1. Downloaded the old version of skype from oldapps.com as recommended in the post above. - After downloading I had a file called Skype-setup-3.1.0.152.exe in my /home/tc/Desktop folder.

2. I downloaded and installed wine.tce using the appbrowser.

3. I mounted the sd card and with emelfm created a directory on it called /tcskype

4. I opened a terminal and typed 'winecfg', a window opened. I clicked on the 'drives' tab and then 'Add...' It created a D: drive for me, which I selected, I then Browsed to find the mounted sd card which was /mnt/sdc1/tcskype in my case. This told wine where my new 'windows' D: drive lives.

5. Because an eeepc screen cuts off the wineconfig window halfway I couldn't get at the 'Apply' or 'Save' buttons. I had to tab through and guess when I was on the right button. I was lucky, I eventually hit the right button. This saved the configuration and wine remembered the D: drive.

6. From the terminal I then cd'd to the directory where Skype-setup-3.1.0.152.exe was saved- cd /home/tc/Desktop in my case.

7. In the terminal I typed 'wine Skype-setup-3.1.0.152.exe'

8. A Skype window opened! I chose my language, I accepted terms and conditions, I clicked on 'options' and deselected everything except 'install Skype extras manager'.

9. In the 'choose install location' I selected the D: drive and the /tcskype directory as the location to install skype to. I clicked install.

10. Skype unpacked and installed to the external sd card (expect to see a lot of messages in the terminal window).

11. I think when it finished installing it told me that it had installed correctly and then exited back to the terminal prompt.

12. At the terminal in TC I cd'd to the sd card and my /tcskype directory. The install had created a directory called 'Phone' which contained the Skype.exe. I cd'd into the Phone directory.

13. At the terminal I typed 'wine Skype.exe'

14. Skype opened. I chose not to install the Gecko Mozilla engine and just cancelled the window that asks for it. I could log in! It took a long time to connect, I waited! Eventually my contacts appeared.

I can send messages, I can't make calls though, they ring on the other end of the line but my sound isn't working. I have oss and alsa installed. Sound works on firefox and mplayer but not on this wine/Skype combo - the terminal messages say;

This soundcard does not support direct access
Direct sound HEL mode will be used instead.
Direct sound capture flag not set

Apologies for such a long description. It might help fellow newbies, it might not. Keep up the good work. Skype messaging is all I need at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 12:50:29 PM by crim »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
Sound has to be turned on before loading skype (if that's the issue).  For OSS, that would be "sudo soundon" , which you can add to your wrapper, along with any other settings you want.  Here's an example; change the path to your own Skype.exe, of course.   (skype also requires libasound, which you should already have with alsa). Check ossxmix and see if skype is added to the volume controls..

edit: I get the same error as you, which doesn't seem cause problems:
Code: [Select]
This sound card's driver does not support direct access
The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.

Code: [Select]

#!/bin/bash
sudo soundon &>/dev/null
ossmix mic.rec ON
ossmix mic 75
ossxmix -b &
wine /mnt/hda3/skype_dynamic/Program\ Files/Skype/Phone/Skype.exe
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:10:22 PM by jpeters »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 02:37:29 PM »
Sound has to be turned on before loading skype (if that's the issue).  For OSS, that would be "sudo soundon" , which you can add to your wrapper

no, only for tc 1.x, i'm using oss but i don't use sound on. (it's still there, because it hasn't been updated or because it's useful if you've used sound off.")

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »
Sound has to be turned on before loading skype (if that's the issue).  For OSS, that would be "sudo soundon" , which you can add to your wrapper

no, only for tc 1.x, i'm using oss but i don't use sound on. (it's still there, because it hasn't been updated or because it's useful if you've used sound off.")

Skype doesn't aways load with soundon after a boot....that's why I added &>/dev/null in case it's already on.  And "yes", I'm talking about tc2.    :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 02:46:32 PM by jpeters »

Offline grjack

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 01:56:13 PM »
Hi Crim

I have got an old version of skype running under wine on a EEE 701. Sound also works.

Downloaded wine-gl.tce and ran the winecfg(read the info under the tce in the appsbrowser) and then ran skype with wine.

I found a version of Skype (2.5091) that is only 11M(compared to > 20M of later versions, probably due to having no video, but it works for me. I just required voice and messages.

Got it here (thanks JPeters) http://www.oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=62#Download

Screen is fine and sound is fine, internal and external(pink) mic works. Used OSSMIX (under apps->OSS) and set the pulldown next to the mic to "input" (from default "c/lfe" usually), setting the mic volume lower gave better pickup

Very happy with TCL. Thanks to all..