WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core64 not booting into GUI (4.2)  (Read 6424 times)

Offline KHarvey

Core64 not booting into GUI (4.2)
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
I have finally been able to get Core64 (4.2) working by following the Wiki.  Except I haven't been able to get the GUI working yet.
I have installed Core64 using the grub-0.97-splash and pointing it to the core64.gz and vmlinuz64.
Here is what my menu.lst looks like
Code: [Select]
default 0
timeout 10
title Core 64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz64 quiet
initrd /boot/core64.gz tce=sda1

In the beginning everything was booting fine.  I would come up to prompt and I could navigate and run commands.  I then decided that I wanted to install a GUI so that I could install the rest of my apps and this is where the problem begins.
I installed the following using ab:
Code: [Select]
fltk-1.10.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz
wbar.tcz
Xlibs.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
Xvesa.tcz

Now everytime I reboot and select Core 64 from my grub I come up to a black screen, and I am unable to do anything.  No response from the keyboard that I can tell, so I have to do a hard reboot, and then I have the same problem.  I tried installing Xorg and Fluxbox too, but still the same problem.
I did find though if I put my Core CD and boot to that it now boots to the GUI.  So there is obviously some configuration that I am missing.  That or the GUI isn't compatible with Core64.

I'm not sure where to go from here.  My main goal was to be able to take advantage of the 8 GB of memory I have in my computer for Virtual Machines in VirtualBox.  I think that Core64 is the only way to do that, but now I am stuck.

Any suggestions?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Core64 not booting into GUI (4.2)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »
Xvesa does not support 64-bit.
Use Xorg.

Offline KHarvey

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
Thank you for the response.  Am I going to run into a lot of incompatible applications in Core64?

I have now uninstalled Xvesa and installed Xorg-7.6, but for some reason Xorg isn't unpacking on boot.  When I boot I go straight to the command line, but it doesn't appear the Xorg is being unpacked.  When I do a find / -name Xorg it comes back with zero results.  However if I boot using the CD then it boots into Fluxbox and Xorg just fine.  When I search for Xorg there it is found in /usr/local/bin/Xorg and /tmp/tcloop/Xorg-7.6/usr/local/bin/Xorg
When I check those locations at the CLI without the CD there is no /tmp/tcloop/Xorg-7.6/usr/local/bin there is only a lib folder in that directory.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 04:20:03 PM »
First "tce-load -iw Xorg-7.6" then edit your onboot.lst and change Xvesa.tcz to Xorg-7.6.

Offline genec

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »
Xvesa does not support 64-bit.
Use Xorg.

Or if you need smaller at the expense of convenience (fully configured at boot time) and immense performance loss, you can also consider Xfbdev but that requires the Linux kernel framebuffer.

Offline KHarvey

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »
Thanks gerald_clark.

I walked out the door right after I posted my problem, and by the time I made it to my car I knew why it wasn't working.  As I said I was booting from the Core CD to get the GUI, and what I did was I uninstalled Xvesa from the GUI (which was fine), but I installed Xorg from the GUI too.  Then when I pulled the CD out it wasn't part of the onboot.lst.

So I just installed Xorg using ab instead, and it is working great.

Thanks again for your help.  I'll try not to post of frustration or haste in the future.   ;D

Is there a thread that lists the extensions that have problems with 64-bit?  Would it be alright to start one?  Or maybe create a Wiki page?  I only have around 227 extensions on my main comp that I will try installing on 64-bit, so I could start to create a list, in case anyone found it useful.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
Only Xvesa and the blob drivers (nvidia and fglrx) AFAIK. Yes, please create a wiki page if you feel it'd be useful.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sebus

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:16:44 PM »
How do I get GUI while booting from iso?

I can edit onboot.lst to have Xorg-7.6.tcz (available on optional ofcourse) but all I get it failed in waitforX

sebus

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
There is no 64-bit iso. What are you talking about? Also, don't double-post.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.