WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: With TinyCore 4.2 grub finds no HDD  (Read 2764 times)

Offline chattrhand

With TinyCore 4.2 grub finds no HDD
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
Hello and a Happy New Year to all,

my problem:
the bootloader of a new TinyCore 4.2 CD finds neither the builtin SATA nor IDE harddisks, hanging up.
However the boot options base norestore help TC to start, and then SATA and IDE drives are accessible.
I tried this on MacMini, iMac, DELL C540, LenovoR61ti with the same result.

So the frugal installations on the harddisk do not start, not even with full path added in the boot options; however, frugal installations on USB-stick can be started fine.

One workaround (a bit poor): booting TC 4.2 with base norestore and when it is up, install the extensions one by one from the local harddisk (or from internet if connected)

With the previous TinyCore up to 4.1 all of this frugal installations work fine.

I downloaded and burned TC with either of my computers listed above, all the same.

TC is a soapbox. But I love it.

chattrhand
TinyCore, SliTaz, LinuxMint, Tails, Mac ...

Offline chattrhand

Re: With TinyCore 4.2 grub finds no HDD
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:01:20 AM »
Hello to all,
meanwhile I found another workaround for TinyCore 4.2 booting:
Bootoption   tc norestore   starts TC 4.2 with all of the previously downloaded extensions, but without unpacking   mydata.tgz.   

So persistence of data and settings within TC 4.2 is not possible, you have to handle your working data on external drives (or you need TC 4.1).

A positive effect is a drastical acceleration of booting and rundown of TC. Probably this is also a good way to reduce writing operations on USB-sticks. 

TC is a soapbox. I love it
chattrhand

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »
So persistence of data and settings within TC 4.2 is not possible, you have to handle your working data on external drives (or you need TC 4.1).

'not sure what you're saying here - the "norestore" boot code has been around since the very beginning of tinycore. If you want persistence, then don't use this bootcode.

Offline tweetyhack

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
If you use "base" and you get your SATA and IDE drives, then some extension or something is causing to problem. Sounds like you've isolated the problem to mydata.tgz. If you can look inside it and see if there is anything in there that is blocking your drives.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
Hi chattrhand
Lets start with the basics. Boot your machine using the  norestore  boot code and install  cdrtools.tcz.
Burn a new disc using the following command:
Code: [Select]
cdrecord dev=/dev/sr0 padsize=63s -pad -dao -v -eject filename.iso Replace  sr0  with the device name for your CD drive. This is to ensure you are starting with an error
free disc. Reboot with the new disc and see if it behaves any better. If it doesn't, do the following:
Post the output of   cat /opt/.filetool.lst   Note: There is a period in front of  filetool
Enter the command   dmesg > dmesg.txt   and attach the file  dmesg.txt  to your next post.

Offline chattrhand

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 01:19:08 AM »
Hello to the friendly helpers!

With TinyCore 4.3 I had the same problems as with 4.2: I was booting frugal installations created with 4.1 and earlier, and they hang up while searching for /opt/??? with no error messages.

So I created a new frugal installation with TC 4.3 and it worked fine. I can even start this new frugal installation using the CD of TC 4.1. The settings of the older installations are only accessible using TC 4.1 and must be copied one by one.

For me this is not a big problem, now that I know it. I'm aware that TC is in an experimental state with big development steps.

It is possible to update extensions like firefox even with non-newest version of TinyCore. AppsAudit displays a warning message about that, but it does the update and the updated firefox works fine.

greetings
chattrhand

Offline floppy

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
hello,
the upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 was a bit sportlich for me, too.
I had in fact to store all single files of the madata.tgz into a separate directory and boot with norestore.
Then I modified all files one by one (.xsession etc. see 4.2 change log) before creating a new mydata.tgz.
perhaps it helps.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline chattrhand

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »
hello friends of TC,

now I am using TC 4.4 and found out that the iMac caused the problem. MacOSX uses EFI partition, but nevertheless there must be somewhat like a reduced BIOS for Systems that directly boot from CD/DVD. Non-Apple laptops work with either TC version on either frugal installations.

It is clear that there is a risk of damaging your frugal installations when booting them with a non-appropriate TC-Version.

The Scm-type installation of extensions seems to be much easier than the OnDemand method.

thanks

chattrhand