WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: passwd and Virtual Box  (Read 2671 times)

Offline KHarvey

passwd and Virtual Box
« on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
Last night I decided to password protect my TC installation.  So I followed the Wiki and I used passwd to create a password for the TC user.  I then added etc/shadow to the /opt/.filetool.lst, and then I added noautologin to my bootcodes.  Everything appeared to be working great.  I am prompted for a login when I reboot and it remembers my password.

But I now have a problem with Virtual Box not being able to open any of my virtual machines.  I receive the error
FaIled to open a session for the virtual machine WinXP32
Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_OWNER_NOT_ROOT).
Result Code:  NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800004005)
Component:  Console
Interface:  IConsole{1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cbc913317bb}

After some digging online I found an article that said the problem was that root did not have the proper permissions on /usr.  So I checked the permissions on /usr and it is:
drwxr-sr-x    9 tc       staff          180 Oct 26  2009 usr/
I'm not sure what the permissions were there before I added a password, so I tried running chown -R root:root /usr but that just appeared to break a lot of things as I was no longer able to sudo.  So I had to do a hard reboot which reverted the permissions for me.

I'm not really sure where to go from here.  I could try running Virtual Box with sudo, but then I will have to repoint all of my virtual machines, and then I would have to remember to always sudo to run Virtual Box.  But I am not even sure if that will work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator

Offline KHarvey

Re: passwd and Virtual Box
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
So if I upgrade to 4.2.1 (I'm currently running 4.0.2) that should solve my problem?

Sorry I wanted to double check as I haven't done an in place upgrade of Tiny Core yet, and I don't really want to start from scratch.  If I remember correctly in the Wiki I just replace two files (bzImage and tinycore.gz)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
4.2 is vmlinuz and core.gz.
The tinycore.gz is no longer supplied.
Now you need to add Xlibs, Xprogs(optional), a windows manager, and optionally wbar.
Please read the 4.2 release thread.

Offline KHarvey

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
I finally found what is causing this, and it also causes it in 4.2.

When you install xlockmore.tcz it changes the permissions on /usr to staff. 

I will go ahead and create a post in the Extensions help section to see if xlockmore can be fixed, or if there is another alternative that can be used to lock a screen.  The good news is that I have learned a ton about installing and configuring Tiny Core though.

Offline webb

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
other extensions also cause this problem. i'll report back when i figure out which was was doing it to me.

-webb