WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Looking to build up a public term system from microcore  (Read 4531 times)

Offline jamtat

Looking to build up a public term system from microcore
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:57:22 AM »
I can't tell for sure but it seems like the microcore option no longer exists in 4.2. Or maybe it's just been "rolled into" the main installation CD.

Anyway, none of the "stock" WM/desktops are going to work for my purposes, but I'm still hoping I can use TC for this project. I'm building up some public terminals for a small (only 3 machines) computer lab I admin and need a more or less locked-down GUI for it. None of the stock ones will do because of the presence of the pop-up menu, which gets auto-populated with certain undesirable entries (New desktop, App browser, Control panel, etc).

My experiments in getting around the stock WM's so far indicate that evilwm may well serve my needs. It has no menu but yet seems to play well with wbar. But in order to see whether that will be the solution I'm looking for, I need to first clarify some things about building up these systems from microcore.

In my experiments I've used information mainly found at http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:microcore64_kiss_install_guide (these are not 64-bit systems, btw, so I've modified things a bit) and  http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:installing_tc_-_alternate_offline_guide . Those describe how to get microcore onto a HD as well as covering how to make changes to the system persistent. For installing the GUI I've used information from http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:adding_a_desktop_to_microcore .

Some of those pages seem a bit dated, so I want to begin by asking here whether those procedures are the right ones to follow for the latest release of tinycore? Input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:15:12 AM by jamtat »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Looking to build up a public term system from microcore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:04 AM »
You can start by reading the 4.2 release thread.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12191.0.html

Offline jamtat

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
Ok. Let me be more specific. By using the directions I linked to in the OP, I've done a sort of microcore installation using the CorePlus CD. I gather from the thread you point out that there is also a Core.iso CD, which I am unsure whether I will need. Should I assume that the installation process will be the same no matter which of the two CD's I use? Or does the Core CD provide some more "automated" way of installing the system?

James

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:58 AM »
Core has no GUI,so it is less automated and requires familiarity with the command line tools.
CorePlus is the ISO to use as an installer CD if you want a GUI installer.

Pleas read the installation instructions referenced in the Main page on the website.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
What used to be called MicroCore is now just Core. Only a name change.

The wiki pages all appear to still be good, some names may have changed but the techniques are all valid.

The simplest way to your goal IMHO would be to install from CorePlus with some wm, then in the running installation add evilwm and remove the old wm.
Of course you can get the same result in many ways.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jamtat

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 11:19:15 AM »
Thank you, curaga. Finally, a relevant response. You'd think if someone has stated that they had managed to do a microcore installation using directions found at those links, someone would not  be trying to tell them it lacks a GUI. Of course I'm assuming that the responder actually read my posts and even gave the matter at least a little thought--likely a faulty assumption.

I've just gone ahead and adapted those directions to my needs changing, where necessary, some file names (e.g., the kernel is named vmlinuz on the CorePlus CD, while the compressed image is core.gz). I've now gone ahead and done a test install on real hardware (was using qemu previously) and it seems to be working as I'd hoped.

I may try your suggestion as well to see whether it will offer any advantages. E.g., maybe the persistence options will be better configured. Anyway, thanks for your input.

James

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 11:24:54 AM »
You asked about the difference between core and coreplus isos.
If you think core.iso has a GUI, and wish to ridicule my answers, then I will bother you no more.

Offline jamtat

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
You asked about the difference between core and coreplus isos.
If you think core.iso has a GUI, and wish to ridicule my answers, then I will bother you no more.
To be precise, the question about the iso's was not in my initial post, but was in response to you trying to get me to read a thread that contained no apparent answer to my opening query. Had you read my initial post and thought it over a little, you might've given a more relevant answer; or no answer at all, which would have been to the same effect.

Further, in my OP I first wrote "I need to first clarify some things about building up these systems from microcore." I next gave links for information I'd found about installing microcore. Then I wrote
"For installing the GUI I've used information from http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:adding_a_desktop_to_microcore ." I'm afraid you're the one who's fastened onto this errant notion about GUI's being or not being in core.iso: that was never a question in my mind, nor was it one I enunciated in this thread.

James

Offline EBScotty

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
The simplest way to your goal IMHO would be to install from CorePlus with some wm, then in the running installation add evilwm and remove the old wm.
Thanks, curaga, you've answered my wondering.