WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: general docu question and ... praise  (Read 3140 times)

Offline chexmix

• burning clown
general docu question and ... praise
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »
I just wanted to report that, on a break from Java homework this weekend, I burned a copy of TC to disk and booted it -- having gotten thoroughly intrigued the previous week by the growing number of really small distros ...

... and I was absolutely stunned by the thing. I was talking out loud to myself, exclaiming over the fact that I had to slow down my mouse, feeling as though I was staring into a glaring computing future. Kudos to the team for an astonishing product. And in 10Mb!! ;D

I almost hate to bring up DSL here (having read some re: what happened there) but was wondering whether the DSL book has relevance to TC or to the topic of tiny distros in general. I find myself kind of entranced by the topic and would like to know more.

Thanks,

Glenn

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: general docu question and ... praise
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »
i've read the dsl book, and i can guarantee you'll learn something from it that applies to any other distro, but it's best for dsl and tc, especially dsl. much of what it talks about that is specific to dsl was engineered by robert, and a good deal of that is relevant to tc, or very close. (we have his mydsl browser which is only slightly different, and called appbrowser.) to say the least, applied to tc the book is a bit out of date, and some things about tc are totally different.

i bought the dsl book primarily to support its authors, my understanding (or misunderstanding) however is that none of the money from the book goes to robert, who in my opinion made a small, usable distro into a fantastic, modular, incredibly unique and notable distro. here on the forum, we've tried to give robert money! he seems to insist on doing it for free, but i don't think the book deal is fair (i do think it's a good book.) that is only my opinion, and if i got any facts wrong i hope someone will correct me on this.

Offline commuter

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:13:46 AM »
I was unaware of the relationship between DSL and TC.  Could someone share some of the history there?

I began trying out different distros after some laptop issues.  I burned TC to cd out of curiosity and *boom* it booted to X so fast.  It still amazes me everytime I boot up.

commuter

Offline pierro78

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 01:51:30 PM »
Could someone share some of the history there?
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=841.0 (especially the post by roberts)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »
I was unaware of the relationship between DSL and TC.

the full extent of the relationship is that robert did a lot of work for both. he did tc from scratch using a number of ideas and instructions from the creator of slitaz, and you can see a lot of robert's ideas in dsl, but more of them in tc. as much as he did to make dsl unique, in every other regard you could say tc is familiar, but different. it's worth mentioning to resolve some misconceptions likely to result from a first look.

Offline commuter

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 08:37:50 PM »
thanks for the links and background.

commuter

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:56:31 PM »
[...] my understanding (or misunderstanding) however is that none of the money from the book goes to robert, [...]
A misunderstanding afaik - he is one of the authors

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
Book royalities are handled by the published and I am included.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:32:36 PM »
he is one of the authors

indeed, of chapters 2, 4, 5, 8, 10 and 11 specifically, i read those first. i was told there was something he was not getting any money for, and somehow for some reason i thought the book was part of that. based on his reply he must be getting royalties then, that's very good to hear.