WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: this is a nomadic distro  (Read 2084 times)

Offline jls

this is a nomadic distro
« on: April 26, 2009, 02:58:50 AM »
One of the main reasons I use this os is because it's nomad, I can put it on a pendrive and go on any pc instead of going around with a laptop (which actually I don't have, no I have but it has the scren broken).
Usually I use tc on my 3 computers at my parent's home, plus one in a public library (sory 4 saying personal things).
The problem is that for example 2 of this machines have got a nic (network interface card) wich is not automatically probed by tc.
What I want to suggest is that I think it's not only me that uses tc in this way, so I would like the tc team to implements something that solves this.
I could meke a script, but I'm not good at all in bash scripting, that checks the processor type, cause this 4 computers have different cpus, and
if cpu=amd650 or p3 then modprobe ne.
Anyway I've solved adding the modprobe ne line in bootlocal.sh, which is not a problem casuse if there is no ne card, nothing bad happens.
Same thing for alsa and oss.
My pentium 3 doesn't work well with oss so I have to use alsa.
In bootlocal.sh I activate both oss and alsa, so if the alsa extension is loaded those lines in bootlocal bring up the sound, same thing with oss.
Another example: with the ne module I also need to execute this in bootlocal:
sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf
where /etc/sysctl.conf contains this line:
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
otherwise internet does not work properly, for example pages in the browser don't fully loads.
But I've read that it's not advised to use this
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0
so I'll try to study scripting in order to use this sysctl only if there is a ne nic.

thanxs and sorry for my bad english
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 03:01:12 AM by jls_legalize »
dCore user

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: this is a nomadic distro
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 04:01:40 AM »
It's on OK idea, but unfortunately doesn't work out that well:
- ethernet detection by cpu?
- the ne module is for ISA cards, which can't be autoprobed. Loading all ISA drivers instead would increase the boot time, and since the majority don't have ISA nics anymore, it's not a good thing for the majority

BTW your english is fine :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.