WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Unable to Obtain SSL Certificate  (Read 3150 times)

Offline SamK

Unable to Obtain SSL Certificate
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:22:07 AM »
I'm hoping to find some ideas to troubleshoot a VNC connection using SSL.  As described below, in some circumstances it works 100% and in another, only partially.

In all cases the VNC-Server is x11vnc running on TC.  This seems to be OK.

The secure viewer is ssvnc_unix_only-1.0.29.tar.gz, downloaded from here:   
http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html   
This is basically a collection of binaries that do not need to be installed, they are simply unpacked to $HOME.  A few main dependencies are required together with some common to most distros:
  • openssh
  • openssl
  • perl5
  • tk
  • Xorg-7.5-lib
  • xterm
  • awk, sed, tr and so on
Having checked, all dependencies are met.

In a non TC distro based on Debian testing repos a secure connection is reliably established, the certificate obtained, and the VNC session starts without a hitch.  This is a reasonable indication that both server and viewer are fine.

Using an identical set-up on TC, an error message is generated "An Error occurred in fetching SSL Certificate" and the VNC session fails to start.  When SSL is not specified for use at both the server and client ends, a VNC session starts upon request. 

The working assumption is that the issue lays between TC/SSL as other elements work as outlined.  Ideas?

Offline krunge

Re: Unable to Obtain SSL Certificate
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
Hello,

I tracked this certificate problem down.  It is because openssl 1.x changed the algorithm they use to hash a certifcate.

This should be fixed in the ssvnc 1.0.30 development tarball I just uploaded to the ssvnc site.  If you try it out and let me know how it goes I would appreciate it.

Thank you,

Karl
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:15:02 PM by krunge »