WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: getflash11 does not generate flash11.tcz  (Read 8408 times)

Offline OldAdamUser2

Re: getflash11 does not generate flash11.tcz
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Hi FlyingHampster,

I empathize with your difficulties in getting flash to work well. I think almost everyone is having similar problems, which is why Steve Jobs wrote what he did about Apple and Adobe Flash (http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/).

I'm a big fan of Tiny Core Linux, but even this great OS sometimes bogs down under the huge CPU requirements of the latest versions of Flash. Here, for example, is a direct quote from the official TC FAQ page:

How to get flash working?

Short answer: see the getFlash9.tcz extension.

Long answer:
Flash 10 has such steep requirements, it is not supported on TC. The last working version was 10 beta 2, but due to the beta nature of that, using Flash 9 is recommended.

Don't use Adobe's installer, copy libflashplayer.so yourself to your browser's plugin folder.

To have sound in Flash using OSS, you need to copy libflashsupport (included in OSS.tcz) to both /usr/lib and your browser's plugin folder.

There are two variations of the library in /usr/lib/oss/lib, one only enabling OSS sound, the other enabling that and also playing flash over SSL. You need OpenSSL for the second library.

Depending on if you have OpenSSL loaded and need to use flash over SSL, pick one of the libs, and copy it to both /usr/lib and your browser's plugin folder, and then rename it to libflashsupport.so in both places.

Requirements: Flash 9 requires GTK+-2.

The only problem with that is that Flash9 has security problems, is no longer available for download, and often won't play the latest Flash material anyway.

Like you, I have had trouble lately with getFlash10 (and getFlash11)--though I assume the problem was just a function of the way I have installed TC 3.8.2 on my system. I do have Flash10.3 installed and working--and it works pretty well for most content.

However, Flash10 does push the CPU on my Eee900 to its absolute limit, sometimes causes crashes, and often tortures the hard drive. This is not the fault of TC3.8.2 so much as it is the fault of Adobe Flash as implemented in virtually all versions of Linux.

Offline flyinghamster

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all your help!!  :D

I had given up on the script for the time being and spent the last few hours manually installing flash from the tar. After several walkthroughs were unsuccessful, I tried copy/pasting the .so file to the hidden /home/tc/.mozilla/plugins folder and voila !! It works!  ;D

This has definitely been a crash course in linux file systems for me!  8)

Offline thane

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
When I rebooted after updating to TCL 4.4, I found that getflash11 no longer appeared in the applications menu. Further checking showed some missing dependencies. I downloaded these and now getflash11 does appear in the applications menu. However clicking on it just causes a quick flicker and does not open a terminal or appear to start a process. My current flash11 still works though which suggests that getflash11 isn't doing much of anything. Not sure if this is a bug or if it's because flash is already installed...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »
Since getflash11 is one of the most universally used extensions,  I am going to revert it to it's previously working state while we wait on a correction from robc.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 05:27:23 PM »
I have uploaded the previous getFlash11 but with fetching the latest flash.

I did not alter the info file as this is temporary to see what robc wants to do with it.

Offline robc

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »
I'll fix it tonight
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline robc

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »
fixed
the install script did check /opt/.tce_dir for the tce directory, that has been fixed
the desktop file had a typo in the exec so the script was not running.  That is why the aterm window would open then close immediately

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
getflash10 is also in the 4x repo and fails to create flash10.tcz

is this script also in need of the same fix?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:15 AM »
I think it just needs to be removed, folks who want flash 10 will need to download it manually.

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »

i cant/dont realy disagree but when getflash11 tcz/scm failed to load flash
 (and before i was clued up to  .tce_dir changes)
 ::) i headed straight for getflash10 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
Here is what I will do.  I will remove getFlash10.tcz to avoid confusion since it is broken.  Anyone interested in taking it up can contact me and I will send them a copy.

Offline AbNoRMiS

• nothing can be impeccable in this imperfect world
    • @ß№®M!$
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »
now i do not even know which i have getFlash11
old or fixed old or it is fixed new :)
because i also have a couple remarks
for example about adding getFlash11.tcz
to onboot.lst without checking bootcode
wondering which version i see it?

p.s.
Code: (bash) [Select]
grep flash$VER.tcz $TCEDIR/onboot.lst > /dev/null 2>&1 || echo "flash"$VER".tcz" >> $TCEDIR/onboot.lstvs
ONBOOTNAME=`getbootparam lst 2>/dev/null`
[ "$ONBOOTNAME" ] || ONBOOTNAME="onboot.lst"
TCEDIR=${TCEDIR%/optional}
grep flash$VER.tcz $TCEDIR/$ONBOOTNAME >/dev/null 2>&1 || echo "flash$VER.tcz" >> $TCEDIR/$ONBOOTNAME
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:22:30 PM by AbNoRMiS »
Basic Design Concept © @ß№®M!$
please forgive my terrible english :)

Offline AbNoRMiS

• @ß№®M!$
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »
or here's another mentioned
why in the script /usr/local/tce.installed/getFlash11
red marked code is present?
if [ ! -f "$TCEDIR"/optional/flash11.tcz ]; then
   if pgrep X >/dev/null; then
   su "$THISUSER" -c 'aterm -T "Download, Setup, and Create flash11.tcz" -e /usr/local/bin/getFlash11.sh'
   else
   su "$THISUSER" -c 'getFlash11.sh'
   fi   
fi
that is if i already have installed flash11.tcz
and uninstalled or removed getFlash11.tcz from onboot list
if i again load getFlash11.tcz to update flash11.tcz
nothing will happen?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:31:56 PM by AbNoRMiS »

Offline robc

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 10:24:15 PM »
It is a test to see if this is first time getFlash11 has ran.  That code is from the tcz install script which only runs right after the extension is installed.  The install script is not meant to be ran manually.  This is to prevent an unwanted update of your flash11 extension if you have a specific version that you want to use.

If you already have flash11.tcz then you will need to run the update script directly, either through the cli or the wm menu.

why would you add getFlash11 to your onboot list?

Offline AbNoRMiS

• @ß№®M!$
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »
It is a test to see if this is first time getFlash11 has ran.  That code is from the tcz install script which only runs right after the extension is installed.  The install script is not meant to be ran manually.  This is to prevent an unwanted update of your flash11 extension if you have a specific version that you want to use.
test of whether i have installed some specific flash version was held in the old version in the script /usr/local/bin/getFlash11.sh
was asked question to which needed to answer yes or no
and it was correctly
If you already have flash11.tcz then you will need to run the update script directly, either through the cli or the wm menu.
if i already have specific version of flash11.tcz and mistakenly run the update script directly then there will be no check and no questions raised to prevent an unwanted update of my flash11 extension
why would you add getFlash11 to your onboot list?
sorry, i mistakenly wrote the getFlash11.tcz instead of flash11.tcz but you have to look at the code below
if you setup your bootloader isolinux or grub4dos etc to start tinycore with bootcode lst=myonboot.lst in which onboot list will get flash11.tcz record?
reminding
grep flash$VER.tcz $TCEDIR/onboot.lst > /dev/null 2>&1 || echo "flash"$VER".tcz" >> $TCEDIR/onboot.lstvs
ONBOOTNAME=`getbootparam lst 2>/dev/null`
[ "$ONBOOTNAME" ] || ONBOOTNAME="onboot.lst"
TCEDIR=${TCEDIR%/optional}
grep flash$VER.tcz $TCEDIR/$ONBOOTNAME >/dev/null 2>&1 || echo "flash$VER.tcz" >> $TCEDIR/$ONBOOTNAME
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:30:15 PM by AbNoRMiS »