WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC documentation  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Yleisajattelija

TC documentation
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:42:42 AM »
I have use USB-stick TC for couple of months and now I'm ready for frugal installation. Now I have raid pack workstation installation and after that GuruPlug server project to do.

TC documentation is very minimal at this moment. I did not found any documentation group,  probally there is not.

I don't know TC, but I  have embedded real time software programmer backgroud, and I think can write understandable documents, if needed.

I will start on scratch and will document my job anyway, and I can post docs here if somebody is interested. I need documentation chain or something for that. Is there any?

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:00:26 AM by Yleisajattelija »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: TC documentation
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:40:13 AM »
The wiki has our user-contributed docs; it'd be appreciated if you would write there.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
I have read those TC- wiki articles, but I thougt that is  "third party" documents. Those are exellent documents (linux-world is normally badly documented), but are little bit disorganized.

Of course is up to TC developers how much you want distribute TC -documents, but it is essential substance if you want TC to be "big distro".  TC has unique feature to resist "linux gigantization" and that is what linux world  needs.

Anyway, cannot make docs without developers support, but if you support wiki-platform documentation it is OK for me.  Currently TC wiki lacks docs for community rules. If user contribution is allowed, there should be rules for that.

Unfortunatelly TC wiki discussion forum is out of use, so I cannot ask these question on there.

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:49 AM »
I'm sure if you're as good as you say patches against the main web site's documentation will be accepted.
Also look at how .info files also carry quite a lot of information about how extensions ought to be used together (not available in such a form on other distros). Do you want to document extensions or Core features?

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
"if you're as good as you say" ???

If I would be good enough, I would just now debug kernel multithread MMU code etc. serious coding and NOT trying to write docs for TC. Yes, I did wrote some embedded code 10 years ago but nowdays I don't remember any of assy codes and probably won't recognice even makefile anymore. And, yes, (with Kernigham/Richie exellent book)  I could print "Hello World" less than a week with gcc. Some day I may do that, too.

Nowdays GNU Linux is huge software tree, which nobody can control anymore on all linux distros. What I does want is that I could install and maintenance my PC and servers without debugging kernel source comments.

a) Put USB-stick on the hole and scan hardware
b) Check drivers and find correct HW compatible bug-free versions
c) Dump operating system to harddisk, flashdisk or whatever it nowdays is
d) Check system, if OK load applications
e) Use it

Simple, easy life without "cannot find XXX.ddl/.xfreeXorg-whatever that-or-this file is missing" reports is what I do want.

Offline hiro

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 03:28:26 AM »
I don't judge you because I have yet to see anything written by you.
I agree that other distros are often bloated. tinycore makes linux a bit more bearable for me.