WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v4.2rc2  (Read 33287 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Core v4.2rc2
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
besides, the few can always add the waitusb=5 as needed

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »
You should not have to do anything special to boot the CD just because it is connected by USB.
That would cause a storm of forum posts because it doesn't boot properly.

Offline mladen

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2011, 12:58:06 AM »
Interesting as initial dhcp request is backgrounded. Please provide very specific details on how pendrive from CorePlus was created? dd, unetbootin, tc-install, or ? Typically on any boot time access to a usb device generally requires a waitusb=5. Do you have such in your pendrive boot parameters?

After I read yoshi314`s post:
Booting stick on the PC connected to the  dhcp network blocked without any message.
After removing "quiet" boot option, I noticed that  system is waiting for relatively long time  in the text mode  for establishing network connection. 

i am sometimes experiencing this on a system which has issues with r8169 network driver. r8168 driver is more stable for this particular hardware, but AFAIK it requires a manual build. the behavior is hard to connect to any specific software configuration.
I analyzed dmesg from my PC installation  and noticed just what yoshi314 said - problem with r8169  driver which temporarily  blocked on 
     eth0: link down   
     etho: link up
kernel boot phase.

So I can very gladly say  that problem I had is not concerned with 2rc1 release !

With best regards

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2011, 03:53:33 AM »
I suspect that hdparm -z is not being supported by your vm. hdparm -z is required to re-read an in session change to a drive partition table.

As you suspected hdparm -z is unable to reinitialize reading of partition table structures.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:13 AM »
to me it was pretty obvious that busybox is used (as i am at least familiar with it), but mnany people do not care about internal workings of any given system, TC included. TC is fairly user friendly and can be used without extensive knowledge of its internals.
I too know what busy box is, just had a senior moment is all.. lol

i am sometimes experiencing this on a system which has issues with r8169 network driver. r8168 driver is more stable for this particular hardware, but AFAIK it requires a manual build. the behavior is hard to connect to any specific software configuration.

I have compiled the r8168 Ethernet driver for tc4.1  some weeks back and forgot to submit it.  meanwhile it's been thoroughly tested so I'll get it submitted today.
hope it helps someone