WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v4.2rc2  (Read 33288 times)

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Core v4.2rc2
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »
That's even better.
Shows there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:36 PM »
Running "tce-load -i Xprogs' from an aterm does not update wbar or desktop menus.
X must be stopped and restarted.
Done!  :)
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 12:21:20 AM »
Awesome work here thanks

meanwhile i'm experiencing a few inconveniences,  initially one appeared an issue with the windows managers of coreplus.   I figured I'd sample these window managers, with a fresh frugal install between each.   Soon after sampling two or three wm's I began experiencing system lockups, resolved by forcing a shutdown to clear each time, pulling the plug deal.

I found that despite the installer reporting to write zeros to the disk, create a new partition, format etc etc.  the old installed extensions are loaded each time, ie: the old partition was not being zero'd or partitioned and formatted as indicated.    On a clean new drive the installer performed the partitioning and formatting as expected, however a drives partition structure is never again touched once created.

I've performed the install procedure many times, boot to coreplus cd - tc-install - using frugal - whole disk - select disk - install boot loader - format with ext2 - boot options for persistence etc etc..   then watch as the installer writes zero's to the beginning of /dev/sda,  create new partition and format it etc etc    then reboot to the drive and all old extensions are still present and loaded.

So far have used gparted to wiped the drive and create a new partition, after which the installer from coreplus cd works as advertised.

I found this anomaly can be reliably reproduced using a VM

Also would be grateful for some consistency in the use of the install buttons, like an "exit" button next to the grayed out "proceed" button on install completion, as it is i'm always suspicious if the install fully completed. 

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 12:41:51 AM »
Just a small cosmetic. Running from CD an eject before shutting down would be convenient.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 01:25:27 AM »
4.1 works, 4.2 doesn'. Therefore it is a 4.2 bug  >:(
or it's a syslinux issue. did its version change in the meantime ?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:46 AM »
"I eat my own dog food", i.e, standard extensions are used to create the isos.

The syslinux extension according to the .info file has not changed since:
Code: [Select]
Current:        2010/07/14
What did change during this RC cycle was the added isohybrid code on the TinyCore iso.
The latest posting of TinyCore-4.2rc2.iso has the isohybrid feature removed.

I am waiting to hear if the removal of the isohybrid solves the reported issue.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:49:26 AM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
Awesome work here thanks

meanwhile i'm experiencing a few inconveniences,  initially one appeared an issue with the windows managers of coreplus.   I figured I'd sample these window managers, with a fresh frugal install between each.   Soon after sampling two or three wm's I began experiencing system lockups, resolved by forcing a shutdown to clear each time, pulling the plug deal.

I found that despite the installer reporting to write zeros to the disk, create a new partition, format etc etc.  the old installed extensions are loaded each time, ie: the old partition was not being zero'd or partitioned and formatted as indicated.    On a clean new drive the installer performed the partitioning and formatting as expected, however a drives partition structure is never again touched once created.

I've performed the install procedure many times, boot to coreplus cd - tc-install - using frugal - whole disk - select disk - install boot loader - format with ext2 - boot options for persistence etc etc..   then watch as the installer writes zero's to the beginning of /dev/sda,  create new partition and format it etc etc    then reboot to the drive and all old extensions are still present and loaded.

So far have used gparted to wiped the drive and create a new partition, after which the installer from coreplus cd works as advertised.

I found this anomaly can be reliably reproduced using a VM

Also would be grateful for some consistency in the use of the install buttons, like an "exit" button next to the grayed out "proceed" button on install completion, as it is i'm always suspicious if the install fully completed.

Obviously a virtual machine is not a real machine. I suspect that hdparm -z is not being supported by your vm. hdparm -z is required to re-read an in session change to a drive partition table.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:46:40 AM by roberts »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
"I am waiting to hear if the removal of the isohybrid solves the reported issue.

Just downloaded Tiny Core and Core Plus. Same as before, doesn't work. If iso hybrid removed, it is something else.
Béla

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
With TinyCore being only an example and CorePlus only a convenience installlation build.
Nothing should preclude you from proceeding with Core-4.2.iso with your desired collection of X/GUI extensions residing on your tcedir.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:04:12 PM by roberts »

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »
With TinyCore being only an example and CorePlus only a convenience installlation build.
Nothing should preclude you from proceeding with Core-4.2.iso with your desired collection of X/GUI extensions residing on your tcedir.

There are no reason to use 4.rc2, I will stay with stable 4.1 which runs smoothly on all machines here. Testing was done, result reported.
Béla

Offline coreplayer2

Core v4.2rc2
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »

Obviously a virtual machine is not a real machine. I suspect that hdparm -z is not being supported by your vm. hdparm -z is required to re-read an in session change to a drive partition table.

Didn't notice hdparm in the list of installed extensions Am assuming  some features of hdparm are included with the installer? 
Many methods exist to write new partition tables I use gparted  successfully on all VM's and real hardware included.  Havent experience any negative issues using hdparm before but will investigate if you feel this is the cause of this issue.

I really like the installer, pity grub4dos has been depreciated, I still use it on older hardware which Syslinux v 4.x hasn't supported. 
edit: syslinux has not changed (is still v4.01)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:55:21 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 05:25:25 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
hdparm is provided by busybox through a link in /sbin.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
thanks, although is busy box always installed with coreplus? ...?

Offline maro

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 07:06:44 PM »
BusyBox has been from day one at the very core of each "Core" release. In it's many "incarnations" (i.e. the so called applets) it provides the equivalent of ca. 225 different executables, whilst not even using up 500 kBytes. It is one of the main reasons why Core can be as small as it is.

The fact that someone with 300+ posts in this forum here is not even aware of such IMHO "basic fact about Core" makes me really wonder why people are seemingly not even reading the first line of the Welcome page.

BTW that page probably needs some refresh to adjust to the fact that kernel v2.6 is now history, and possibly some more due to the change of focus from TC to Core.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
Open a terminal an enter   ls -l /bin
You will see that the majority of the commands listed (including ls) are really links to busybox.
Now enter   ls -l /sbin
You will find that a lot of those commands are just links to /bin/busybox.