WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v4.2rc2  (Read 33284 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Core v4.2rc2
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 07:49:41 PM »
got it thanks

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 08:05:41 PM »
" seemingly" is the operative word as I find myself repeatedly reading the wiki and FAQ etc especially when scouring for answers.   like you point out these docs are not always current but is still one of the many resources we have to learn with.

edit: I believe I'd confused busybox with something else..
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:57:15 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline mladen

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 01:37:54 AM »
While testing v4.2rc1, I noticed some similarity with marcus reports. My stick created with CorePlus  show next boot problems:

Booting stick on the PC connected to the  dhcp network blocked without any message.
After removing "quiet" boot option, I noticed that  system is waiting for relatively long time  in the text mode  for establishing network connection. 

With Icewm boot option, system booted into X environment without waiting,  but after  I created mydata.tgz  I had problems with rebooting flwm option.

I tried different installations and boot options and it seems to me that problems with ethernet connection establishing and  problems with /tce location identification (local or network)  during  the  booting  of the  core.gz  part  can block the process  before installation of X extensions,  leaving user without adequate message .

Now I am testing v4.2rc2  on the dhcp connected PC and gprs connected laptop. I tried to take care of network connectivity, and I haven`t noticed any booting problem so far.

Offline floppy

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51:56 AM »
Starting point is mc4.0.2 + Xorg74 + all other files for making a TCL 4.0.2.
I made the update: Xlibs, Xprogs, Xorg76 instead of Xorg74 and putted core.gz in the grub menu, non persistent home.
Good: a screen appear (this was not the case with rc1). So, this is an improvement.
Still an Error:
- an X appear on the screen instead of an arrow; no control of the screen with the mouse.
- when a terminal windows opened, by putting "mnttool &", an error "missing libfltk.so.." appear; by putting "fluff", an error "missing fltk_images.. " appear despite the fltk-1.10 is in the directory "optional".
  So, I made tce-load -wi libfltk. But the file seems not to be there.
I will try to complete this post because I currently cannot remember where the"missing libfltk appear". In dmesg or other.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:54:24 AM by floppy »
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline Juanito

• Administrator

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2011, 04:11:33 AM »
@maro:

Edited to say 3.0 kernel. The Core change should wait until 4.2 is stable.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2011, 04:25:24 AM »
The fact that someone with 300+ posts in this forum here is not even aware of such IMHO "basic fact about Core" makes me really wonder why people are seemingly not even reading the first line of the Welcome page.

BTW that page probably needs some refresh to adjust to the fact that kernel v2.6 is now history, and possibly some more due to the change of focus from TC to Core.
i never thought that people can be judged by post count.

to me it was pretty obvious that busybox is used (as i am at least familiar with it), but mnany people do not care about internal workings of any given system, TC included. TC is fairly user friendly and can be used without extensive knowledge of its internals.

Booting stick on the PC connected to the  dhcp network blocked without any message.
After removing "quiet" boot option, I noticed that  system is waiting for relatively long time  in the text mode  for establishing network connection. 

i am sometimes experiencing this on a system which has issues with r8169 network driver. r8168 driver is more stable for this particular hardware, but AFAIK it requires a manual build. the behavior is hard to connect to any specific software configuration.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:29:45 AM by yoshi314 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011, 04:29:14 AM »
Hm, having waitusb=5 in the TC iso gives a bad impression. If the TC iso is not to be an isohybrid, I don't think it should have that wait there.

Reading the original request, it was about a new menu option in CorePlus having such, not in the default boot of the TC iso.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 05:41:23 AM »
Agreed and waitusb=5 have been removed.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »
While testing v4.2rc1, I noticed some similarity with marcus reports. My stick created with CorePlus  show next boot problems:

With Icewm boot option, system booted into X environment without waiting,  but after  I created mydata.tgz  I had problems with rebooting flwm option.

I tried different installations and boot options and it seems to me that problems with ethernet connection establishing and  problems with /tce location identification (local or network)  during  the  booting  of the  core.gz  part  can block the process  before installation of X extensions,  leaving user without adequate message .

Now I am testing v4.2rc2  on the dhcp connected PC and gprs connected laptop. I tried to take care of network connectivity, and I haven`t noticed any booting problem so far.
Interesting as initial dhcp request is backgrounded. Please provide very specific details on how pendrive from CorePlus was created? dd, unetbootin, tc-install, or ? Typically on any boot time access to a usb device generally requires a waitusb=5. Do you have such in your pendrive boot parameters?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:00:59 AM by roberts »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2011, 06:10:46 AM »
Agreed and waitusb=5 have been removed.
Won't that break CorePlus dd-d to a pendrive?
What if the CD is USB connected?
How will it find cde ?
Perhaps label the CD and use waitusb with a label.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:15:58 AM by gerald_clark »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2011, 06:14:49 AM »
Curaga was talking about TC iso only. CorePlus is unchanged.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2011, 06:18:36 AM »
It will find 'cde' on a USB connected CD without the waitusb?

Offline floppy

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:24 AM »
You need:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release_candidates/fltk-1.10.tcz
this file was already in the "optional" directory.
the error came up by trying to start mnttool. Similar error by trying to start fluff.

Update: eveything work fine after the dep files are loaded. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:53:41 AM by floppy »
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2011, 07:00:42 AM »
It will find 'cde' on a USB connected CD without the waitusb?

Right, I didn't think of that scenario.

I agree with using the TinyCore label, everyone should not wait for the few.