WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: MPC (Music Player Controller, MPD)  (Read 14215 times)

Offline mb

MPC (Music Player Controller, MPD)
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:47:28 AM »
There is a tcz for MPD but not the command-line controller app MPC. I know there is ncmpcpp, but is there another command line MPD controller?

How would i go about installing MPC myself?.. i don't think it has any dependencies other than MPD, but i'm not familiar with the process.

Offline hiro

Re: MPC (Music Player Controller, MPD)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:28:49 AM »
There is a mpc.tcz in the 3.x repo. Just use that.

Offline mb

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:50:58 AM »
The mpc.tz in the repos is not the MPC that has anything to do with MPD. It's some high precision calculation thing.

At least that is the case with 4.1. If the 3.x version is the MPC i'm looking for (i'd be suprised); then how do i use the 3.x repos.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:53:40 AM by mb »

Offline hiro

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:56:49 AM »
It's difficult to find from the tinycore main site but I recommend you make this bookmark: http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/index_nojs.html

Sorry, the 3.x and 4.x namespaces shouldn't collide in such a way. I hope someone else can find a solution for this.

Change the links to .info files or so to have a .tcz ending
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:58:33 AM by hiro »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:00:20 AM »
Hi mb
The mpc in 4.x was called libmpc in 3.x, looks like a typo. The mpc in 3.x is what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 06:03:35 AM by Rich »

Offline mb

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
I saved the .tcz, md5 etc in /tmp with wget, then used 'tce-load -wi mpc.tcz' to install it, which it said was OK. The mpc command isn't found and all 'find -name mpc' finds are in /tmp/tcloop and /usr/local/tce.installed, both of which complain about permissions and don't run. So i'm guessing i did it wrong.

??

it would be really nice to have this mpc (and an mpd that doesn't require X and the kitchen sink) in the 4.x repos, too.

Offline hiro

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:16:14 AM »
It's tce-load -i ./mpc.tcz in the directory you downloaded it.
See the documentation on the main site, too.
There are some scripts lying around that try to make this process easier but I didn't ever try them.

I made sure there's at least one minimal mpd version available on 3.x but I had no time to look into 4.x. Also some people build packages automatically without any real testing and I can't keep up with their speed ;)

Would you please try the mpd-minimal extension on your system? Then we can give an OK to the core team to cp these two packages to the 4.x repo.

Offline mb

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »
When i run 'tce-load -i ./mpc.tcz' i am told 'already installed'. Note i installed with -wi which should load on boot? (I have been using the documentation that i have found.)

I'm happy to test mpd-minimal; but how do i find what is included?? (i want support for most playback formats, just not anything that requires huge and mostly-unrelated dependencies)

Also, is there an easy way to uninstall the main mpd package and all its dependencies from command line??

Offline hiro

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:55:22 AM »
Sorry, this kind of information seems indeed to be lacking on the web site. I gathered most of my knowledge about using tc from commandline by reading the shell scripts out of which most core specific functionality consists.
I figured this to be faster than searching the web site and wikis/forums or endless googling.
What you want to look into is your onboot.lst file and the source of tce-load (run vi `which tce-load` on the command line).
You can simply remove the corresponding .tcz files from your tce dir from commandline. Afterwards reboot to have a clean state again.

Offline mb

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 10:22:15 AM »
is there a script available to remove the relevant dependancies using the .dep file??

Offline mb

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
still trying to get mpc to work.. i'm not certain what i did wrong in the first place.. but i deleted the .tcz etc, redownloaded and ran 'tce-load -i ./mpc.tcz' and got the error 'squashfs_rad_data failed to read block 0x0, unable to read squashfs_super_block, mounting /dev/loop111 on /tmp/tcloop/mpc failed: I/O error'

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
If you deleted the .tcz, you need to reboot before reloading.

Offline mb

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 06:59:21 PM »
i had restarted. But i reinstalled i figured that would be easier than uninstalling the gazillion mpd dependencies.

Anyway after a long struggle of figuring out WTH i was supposed to be doing, i can confirm mpd-minimal and mpc from the 3.x repos works fine (so far) with the 4.1 ! 8)
[[NB: i tested mpd with openssl-0.9.8, which is listed in the dependencies... not the 1.0 version which is in the 4.x repo. I'm sure it will work as a drop in, mostly a heads-up that the mpd-min dependencies need updating there. Also the MPD version is a little out of date (doesn't support auto-updating) so it'd be nice to have an update sometime]]

Could we please have the current 'mpc' renamed back to mpclib, a lot of potential for confusion there.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »
Could we please have the current 'mpc' renamed back to mpclib, a lot of potential for confusion there.

I think most of the extensions are named after the source code name, which is mpc (rather than libmpc), maybe we could rename the music player to MPC or similar?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »
Hi Juanito
The mpc.tcz that is currently in the 4.x repository only contains 3 libmpc.so files. The description
reads  complex floating-point library. This is just an updated version of libmpc.tcz from the 3.x
repository that appears to have been accidentally misnamed while being moved to 4.x.

[EDIT]: Just noticed the Change-log says it was renamed.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 09:58:58 PM by Rich »