WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: patching tce-load -i to optionally use ram  (Read 8372 times)

Offline caminati

• Homepage
Re: patching tce-load -i to optionally use ram
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »
If you want it perfectly safe you'd also have to make the rootfs read only, don't make any wrong assumptions here...
Sorry, I just don't follow you here.

If you have a script for unmounting and deleting symlinks, you can just as well write one for removing the copied files instead. It would even be one less operation.
No. That's exactly the point: in copy mode the information binding copied files to the extension they belong is lost (I was talking about reversibility in a previous post right to mean this). Otherwise, please explain how.

Don't be shy to include any of your ideas into tinycore base...
Again, I can't understand what you mean here: how?
I am not in TC team, and there is no public cvs I know of.
I am just posting here what I find useful for myself.

Offline hiro

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 03:07:23 PM »
What I meant to say is: If your idea is good it can be included.
But removing symlinks or files they point to is not a big difference from a "security" point of view.
You can rewrite and remove symlinks and then also lose "information".

Perhaps I just didn't get what you meant with "security". Also you can use squashfs tools to list complete package contents (including their paths relative to root) or download the same listing as a file from the repo if you want to know where an extension puts it's files.

Offline caminati

• Homepage
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »
You can rewrite and remove symlinks and then also lose "information".
Perhaps I just didn't get what you meant with "security".
I meant that copied files are writable, while links to files inside a squashfs mount are not.

Also you can use squashfs tools to list complete package contents (including their paths relative to root) or download the same listing as a file from the repo if you want to know where an extension puts it's files.
This is true; however, there are performance problems with your approaches (I tried the squashfs tools way when working on my untcz script).
Moreover, your approaches are less robust: suppose you, for some reason, have no longer access to the original tcz file...
In such cases, if you used copy mode, you have no way of knowing what files belong to what extension (in this sense I talked about losing information), while if you mounted the extension you still can.