WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v4.2rc1  (Read 55628 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Core v4.2rc1
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
The first release candidate of Core 4.2 is ready for public testing:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release_candidates

Main theme for 4.2 relase is to focus on the Core.
With the Core Project one starts with the kernel (vmlinuz) and the core
MicroCore is simply the kernel + core.gz This is the foundation for user created desktops.
TinyCore is simply the kernel + core.gz + Xvesa.tcz|Xorg.tcz + (user's choice of Window Manager) + (optionally wbar.tcz)

The original TinyCore becomes simply an example of what the Core Project can produce, an 11MB desktop.
4.2 also intoduces CorePlus a simple way to get started using the Core philosophy in allowing easy
embedded frugal or pendrive installation of the user's choice of supported desktop, while maintaining the
Core principal of mounted extensions with full package management.

Change log:
* Updated tce-setup to use /tmp/builtin for embedded initrd extensions. Changed from /opt/tce
* Updated cpanel to only activate Xvesa button if Xvesa is loaded.
* Updated exittc default focus on OK button for quicker use from keyboard.
* Updated mntttol to call rebuildfstab.
* Updated base for move of /opt/.tce_dir to a link at /etc/sysconfig/tcedir which includes the following:
   tce-load, tce-run, tce-setdrive, tce-size, tce-audit, filetool.sh, tce-setup, ondemand, tce-update,
   .profile, tc-config, rc.shutdown, appbrowser, appsaudit, exittc, flwm_topside_ondemand,
   .setbackground, wbarconf, wbar_update.sh, wbar_setup.sh.

* Updated the following system X/GUI extensions:
   Xvesa,tcz, Xlibs.tcz, Xprogs,tcz, flwm_topside.tcz, flwm.tcz, and wbar.tcz.

* Updated tce-setup to write cde info to /etc/sysconfig.
* Updated startx to better support desktop boot code.
* Updated tc-config and tce-setup.sh for refined definition of the base boot code.
  base will now only ignore "user" extensions. Builtins and cde extensions always load as they have become by their very
  nature part of the base system.  See CorePlus.iso for how it is being used.
  xbase.lst is implemented via our standard lst boot option. But now lst is supported in the cde directory.
  Hence by using xbase.lst a simple standard list file containing only the base X/GUI extensions to be loaded.
  See CorePlus iso for how it is being deployed.

* Updated interface files for supported window manager extensions:
   flwm_topside.tcz, flwm.tcz, fluxbox.tcz, hackedbox.tcz, icewm.tcz, icewm-full.tcz, jwm-snapshot.tcz, jwm.tcz

Files likely in your backup that will need to be updated:
.setbackground
.profile
.xsession

Note: You must recreate all ondemand items. Use AppsAudit OnDemand Maintenance.

CorePlus replaces MultiCore:

CorePlus now sports a boot menu so that the user can easily see the window managers and boot options available.
* Dropped tc-grub4dos
* Dropped tinycore.gz
* Added flwm, jwm, icewm, fluxbox, and hackedbox; plus their dependencies.
* Updated tc-install.sh & tc-install GUI now installs running desktop and detects CorePlus with user selectable options,
  frugal now installs embedded, i.e., self contained in the tce directory with option to skip the boot loader install.
* Updated ezremaster to support the new Core foundation.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:51:39 AM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Core v4.2rc1
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:35:09 PM »
Perhaps it changed earlier and I missed it, but ~/.xsession looks to have changed too.

Also, on boot udhcpc runs as "/sbin/udhcpc -b -i eth0 -h host -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid", but using the panel applet, it runs as "udhcpc -H host -b -i eth0"

Offline hiro

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
Please clarify how users and extension makers should use udhcpc and possibly it's PID files.
Is the wifi script a good reference for such stuff (sadly I haven't managed to look at it yet)?

Offline netnomad

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 06:21:07 AM »
did you consider the actual fluxbox version 1.3.2 for your packaging?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
CorePlus merely contains extensions from the repository. As per our policy please direct extension update/bug fix requests in the apprpriate forum area and directed to the specific extension maker. CorePlus is not to be construed as our distrubution but merely a convience for getting started with Core.

My sole involvement with the extensions was to facilitate the necessary mods to the interface files for 4.2  structural changes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:43:17 AM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 07:35:42 AM »
Perhaps it changed earlier and I missed it, but ~/.xsession looks to have changed too.

Also, on boot udhcpc runs as "/sbin/udhcpc -b -i eth0 -h host -p /var/run/udhcpc.eth0.pid", but using the panel applet, it runs as "udhcpc -H host -b -i eth0"
network GUI, typically accessibile from control panel, will have the -p option added in next cut.

.xsession has now added to the opening announcement post. Thanks!

Offline glareboa

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 08:35:33 AM »
A small error in the Сore-4.2r1.iso
Written in isolinux.cfg

append initrd = / boot / microcore.gz quiet

but should

append initrd = / boot / core.gz quiet

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:06:51 AM »
Hi glareboa
Please use proper syntax when posting commands or parameters. There should be no spaces by
those slashes. Someone who is unaware of this may cut and paste what you have posted only to
find out it does not work.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
A small error in the Сore-4.2r1.iso
Written in isolinux.cfg

append initrd = / boot / microcore.gz quiet

but should

append initrd = / boot / core.gz quiet

Thanks! Corrected and reposted Core-4.2rc1.iso

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
Hi glareboa
Please use proper syntax when posting commands or parameters. There should be no spaces by
those slashes. Someone who is unaware of this may cut and paste what you have posted only to
find out it does not work.

it is possible that he has used google translate.
  / this / is / a / test / translated / with / google / without / spaces / inserted

Offline aswjh

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
hope for flwm_topside_unicode :D

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
Looks like some radical changes here, as always tc on the cutting edge..

8)

Offline thane

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 12:35:25 AM »
Longer-term is the plan to phase out "TinyCore" completely and have everyone start with Core or CorePlus? When I began using Tiny Core Linux (and maybe even now) it would have been a bit daunting to evaluate Xvesa vs. Xorg, or the merits of the various window managers. Having a TinyCore iso (as 4.2 does) or at least highlighting the equivalent extensions in the CorePlus menu (if the TinyCore iso is eventually phased out) seems like a good idea.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:39:59 AM by thane »

Offline maro

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 02:50:37 AM »
Not strictly an issue with 'Core.gz', but rather 'Xprogs.tcz' (and so one could argue whether this belongs to the TCE section instead of the TCB one): In 'startx' (which has now been moved from '/usr/bin' to '/usr/local/bin') there are three hard-coded occurrences of '/usr/bin/xsetup.sh '.

IMHO using a hard-coded path is generally not a good idea, in particular when things are moving around (e.g. '/usr/local/bin/xsetup.sh' in this case). The issue becomes obvious after booting 4.2rc1 with the default option (i.e. 'tc') and then trying to use a different X server, e.g.
Code: (bash) [Select]
tc@box:~$ tce-load -wi Xorg-7.6 > /dev/null 2>&1 && startx
/usr/local/bin/startx: line 57: /usr/bin/xsetup.sh: not found
tc@box:~$

Offline coreplayer2

Core v4.2rc1
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 04:53:42 AM »
Longer-term is the plan to phase out "TinyCore" completely and have everyone start with Core or CorePlus?

I think it just happened!   But I hear you also, the first look is as much important as the mechanism behind it.  Having a xvesa outside of the base keeps core small (ie the magical 10MB goal) whilst providing more choices without interference from base incorporated features.

AISI core plus is a name change for tinycore with a windows manager extention outside of base.

Hopefully this does not mean leaving the initial choice up to a first time core user, as that is likely to turn people away before getting a chance to enjoy the core for what it represents.

Personally I don't fully understand why a user needs to choose a supported desktop environment.  It's enough to know that coreplus can be booted with a windows manager or optionally changed at any time in the future.  Forcing a new core user to make a choice they know nothing about may be  intimidating and counter productive.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:04:42 AM by coreplayer2 »