WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Want to fix TinyX (Xvesa) Mouse Issues.  (Read 7162 times)

Offline dfattcl

Want to fix TinyX (Xvesa) Mouse Issues.
« on: November 28, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
Hi, so I want to fix the mouse issues with Xvesa/KDrive so that the mouse just works without having to wiggle it, wait, then go (and if you don't want it jumps all over the place).   So I found the files in the xorg package 7.1 since that is supposed to be the latest version that will support kdrive / xvesa properly.  So I downloaded to an debian squeeze install I'm running and after getting all the dependency's worked out (started with this kemovitra.blogspot.com/2009/10/linux-compiling-xorg-kdrive-server.html but there were a lot more and had to get some from debian lenny) so configure worked (using that command line from the link give).  Next typed "make" and it failed because of all kinds of garbage that lots of people seem to also have (I'll paste at the end of this message).  So anyway, I think it failed because it was building for my local squeeze system, not a generic separate build, which I really want because I want to replace/upgrade the one you provide in extensions Xvesa-7.1.tcz.   So I guess what I really want is to do it under TinyCore?  Is that right?  How would i get the source that makes up Xvesa-7.1.tcz so I can improve it and have it work in Tiny Core??  I've done a lot of system stuff on PC's, but haven't worked much in Linux except some basic C/C++ utilities, this is all quite confusing.    It seems like I should just be able to download something then compile it.  Anyway, here are some of those problems building which can probably be ignored since I really want to build a version for TinyCore.

n file included from ../Xext/panoramiX.h:46,
                 from dispatch.c:107:
/usr/include/X11/extensions/panoramiXext.h:49: error: expected ')' before '*' token
/usr/include/X11/extensions/panoramiXext.h:54: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'XPanoramiXQueryVersion'
/usr/include/X11/extensions/panoramiXext.h:64: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'XPanoramiXGetState'
/usr/include/X11/extensions/panoramiXext.h:70: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'XPanoramiXGetScreenCount'
/usr/include/X11/extensions/panoramiXext.h:76: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'XPanoramiXGetScreenSize'
In file included from dispatch.c:112:
/usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:39: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'XSecurityQueryExtension'
/usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:59: error: expected ')' before '*' token
/usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:65: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'XSecurityRevokeAuthorization'
/usr/include/X11/extensions/security.h:75: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'Display'
dispatch.c:115:35: error: X11/extensions/Xagsrv.h: No such file or directory
dispatch.c:118:1: warning: "XKB_IN_SERVER" redefined
In file included from dispatch.c:82:
../include/dix-config.h:346:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Want to fix TinyX (Xvesa) Mouse Issues.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
So I guess what I really want is to do it under TinyCore?  Is that right?
That would be best - download compiletc to get everything you usually need to compile on the base microcore/tinycore installation. Xorg-7.6-dev will provide the most recent dev files for X.

How would i get the source that makes up Xvesa-7.1.tcz
Jason could probably point you in the right direction

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »
Thanks, I'll go get that (Where is it - I couldn't find it)  (I presume I can build it on the debian system??).  I'll wait for Jason for the xorg xvesa-7.1 build information.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:51:33 AM by dfattcl »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
I had earlier tried to build the XFree86 Xvesa that is in base on TC 3.x, and the XFree source is too old to build on a new system.  And now I tried to build the version from Xorg 7.1 on TC 4.x, and even after downloading the needed dependencies, it does not want to build when the current Xorg 7.6 dev extension is loaded.  It may work if you start from scratch with no Xorg stuff on the system.  Or, use an earlier version of TC, or Debian Etch should work, as I had also build Xvesa on it since it from a similar time frame and before we had a complete tool chain.

I don't have an actual build script, but for the 7.1 Xvesa it is basically "./configure --enable-kdrive && make && make install"

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 04:05:49 PM »
Thanks.  We'll try setting up Debian Etch in VirtualBox and buliding xorg 7.1.  Once that's completed, I can get in an start dealing with the mouse detection process.  If I get it working better can provided the updated source here? 

Also, I just wonder in general about Linux, when you build something like xorg, is it building it for that given machine?  XVesa shouldn't matter since it's using VESA, but in general, would these other non Xvesa builds be machine specific or are they generic enough for general use?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
It should not matter which machine as long as it is x86.  Using a version of Tinycore would be ideal, but the result for something like Xvesa should be the same.

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:50 PM »
Ok, was able to get it to build on debian etch.  The Xvesa file when using strip Xvesa went from 6M to about 1M where as the Xvesa you have is 6xxK, do you recall the config options?  I can start messing with the mouse stuff Wed hopefully.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19:51 AM »
Actually, the Xvesa from the Xvesa-7.1.tcz package is about 1.3mb uncompressed.  So what you see sounds like about right. 

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »
ah right .. upx .. thanks.

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:25:40 PM »
diff attached, i didn't have anything to test the mouse wheel changes, anyway enjoy.

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 05:35:29 PM »
Jason,
Do you happen to know your ./configure options?   I did a basic build with unmodified mouse.c and check the differences, the one you built requires a couple additional libs, librt and libpthreads, the reason I ask is on an old system, Xvesa built under debian etch locks up doing certain things, the one you built doesn't so there must be some difference?
TIA!

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »
I reckon I did the final build under TC 1.x, as I did many test and earlier builds on Debian Etch.

The configure option I remember was simply the "./confgure --enable-kdrive".

I wish I could be of more help, as that early on I did not keep perfect build scripts, but I do remember the configure options.

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:18:51 AM »
If I want to try and build on TC 1.x, does the download have everything on it already or is it something you have to start manually adding compilers and packages on?

Did you update any files from xorg-server-X11R7.1-1.1.0 with a newer version?  Do you still have the full source tree that could be made available for the build?

Thanks.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »
Here is the source in the repo:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/tce/src/xorg-server-X11R7.1-1.1.0.tar.bz2

I will aim to make a simple build script that includes dependencies later tonight.

Offline dfattcl

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
thanks.