Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

Optimizing boot

(1/2) > >>

B-O:
Hi,

Hi. We have installed your Tiny Core Linux in a compact flash for demonstrating fast boot with our embedded BIOS (zBIOS) on a panel PC with N270/945GS/ICH7 chipset.

The results for a full boot from power on is:

zBIOS       4.8s (1.3s BIOS, 3.5s Tiny Core)
AMI BIOS  19.5s (10s BIOS, 9.5s Tiny Core)

Note that we actually perform full POST and brought Tiny Core Linux up in less than half the AMI BIOS POST.  There is a video clip on zBIOS boot here[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-wewy-qlu4/url].

However, we think we can make this even faster if a non multi boot loader is used (GRUB, LILO) and also enhance the boot loader to take full advantage of zBIOS. Would it be interesting for you to cooperate in optimizing the boot times further or can we have access to the development to contribute?

B-O Bergman
Zebor Technology

curaga:
That looks very nice. Absolutely, patches welcome, or even only data on where we can improve.

Was that unmodified TC in the video? If so it's interesting how big an effect the bios has on our boot.

B-O:
Yes, that was a completely unmodified TC. The zBIOS used is also our standard BIOS and not an altered version. It's common to have a manipulated boot loader and OS for fast boot demonstrations. Even hibernation tricks are common. We use a standard OS and our standard BIOS for these demos, so the fast boot is available outside the lab.

To optimize the boot further with TC and zBIOS, the boot loader should be simplified (to be faster) and load the ram image in maximum chunks. Our BIOS supports 255 sectors read/write/verify on any media, so using that feature will significantly reduce the total number of calls needed to load the image.

curaga:
I'm afraid none of us is familiar with bootloader internals, or BIOS interrupt calls for that matter. I don't think we can help there.

Of course if I'm wrong here, feel free to correct me.

B-O:
Then I will help you with that. Maybe I can contribute with some modifications in the kernel as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version