Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

Extensions not loading on boot in MC 4.0.2 (using ISO in VMware)

(1/3) > >>

nim108:
So I am testing some methods of extension loading in TC and MC using VMware (I just point VMware to the ISO file to test it) and am running into interesting results. When I download the TC 4.0.2 ISO, add a /tce/optional directory with my extensions (with onboot.lst and copy2fs.flg in /tce), these extensions load up just fine in TC, as expected. With this same exact setup booting the MC 4.0.2 ISO, the extensions fail to load ... it just says OK but seems to skip them all. For now, I am stuck running TC in text mode, but would much prefer MC working as it should, since I have no need for X tools. Am I missing something here?

For the record, I've tried renaming /tce to /cde with no luck, and I've also tried booting MC with boot options such as waitusb or embed, but still no go. It's just interesting that the same exact folder structure I have loads the extensions in TC, but fails to in MC. Is MC looking for another folder name for extensions?

Rich:
Hi nim108
When you say MC are you referring to Microcore or Multicore?

nim108:

--- Quote from: Rich on November 12, 2011, 05:40:41 AM ---Hi nim108
When you say MC are you referring to Microcore or Multicore?

--- End quote ---
Err sorry Rich, I forgot there was Multicore too ... I'm referring to Microcore.

On a side note, I did get the ISO to finally work, but it was with /cde and /cde/optional directories and booting up with the cde boot option. Is this a bug or was Microcore made to boot this way? How come TC boots with the normal /tce and /tce/optional directories with nothing specified as boot parameters? I'm happy it works now, but I want to know why both distributions (TC and Microcore) seemingly work in different ways.

Rich:
Hi nim108
Not being a Microcore user myself I was unaware that it might not use /tce for extensions.
Maybe it was done so that when it searches for the extension directory it would not try to load
extensions from a Tinycore install which would require X to be running?

curaga:
There is no difference between TC and MC in this regard. I suspect a timing issue or something similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version