WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: eeepc-laptop module not working  (Read 3654 times)

Offline andrewb

eeepc-laptop module not working
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:46:37 PM »
The eeepc-laptop module is not working in TC4 or TC3.8.4. It was working on earlier 3.8 versions. I'm not sure when it got broken. The error message on Modprobe eeepc-laptop is:
tc@abeee:/opt$ sudo modprobe eeepc-laptop
modprobe: can't load module eeepc-laptop (kernel/drivers/platform/x86/eeepc-laptop.ko.gz): unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: eeepc-laptop module not working
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:35:41 AM »
Please post the relevant part of dmesg.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andrewb

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:00:08 AM »
@Curga

I've done some more extensive testing with TC3.8.4 & TC4

3.8.4 requires the pci-hotplug extension & hwmon extensions to be loaded. Loading hwmon results in the eeepc-laptop extension being loaded without any need for an additional modprobe of the module. All the eeepc function keys seem to work (wireless toggle etc) after this.

TC4 doesn't seem to need the hwmon extension, only the pci-hotplug one, plus 'modprobe eeepc-laptop' in bootlocal.sh to get the eeepc Function keys working.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:46:34 AM by andrewb »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 03:49:07 AM »
OK, those are in the pci-hotplug- extension. Perhaps we should remove eeepc_laptop from base.

edit: Heh, edits :)

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »
with the old tinycore I couldn't switch off/on wifi and I had renounce (but I did not know of this module)
Reading this forum I tried, but also without module the situation is identical (the wifi works and some other special keys, but not all).
I'm thinking that one of these two bootcode which I possess in syslinux may be related: "laptop" and "acpi_osi=Linux"
Is possible?

Offline andrewb

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 02:45:43 PM »
OK, those are in the pci-hotplug- extension. Perhaps we should remove eeepc_laptop from base.

edit: Heh, edits :)

Whatever the case with pci-hotplug, the hwmon extension for 4.0 seems to be missing the hwmon module. I can't remember where I found the info on getting eeepc-laptop to work in the first place, but in TC3.8.4 the hwmon module was critical to getting eeepc-laptop to load & operate.

@vinnie

I don't seem to need eeepc-laptop loaded for the backlight control to work, but it is needed for the wifi toggle to work.

If / once I have it all working for TC4 I will put a guide together for the wiki.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »
The hwmon module's now built in, because many non-hwmon modules depended on it.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 03:10:07 AM »

@vinnie

I don't seem to need eeepc-laptop loaded for the backlight control to work, but it is needed for the wifi toggle to work.

If / once I have it all working for TC4 I will put a guide together for the wiki.

However my wifi button works without the modprobe procedure, aand if I give the command does not change anything.
For this I suspected those two bootcode