WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firmware.tcz  (Read 4547 times)

Offline andrewb

Firmware.tcz
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:39:44 AM »
It would perhaps be useful if the firmware.tcz info file had a list of the firmware supported by this extension.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Firmware.tcz
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »
The .tcz.list file?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline andrewb

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
Thanks.

Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't know the .list file existed, I guess that's the 'Files' tab in Appbrowser (not ant my TC machine at present so can't check).

I came across a reference to firmware.tcz in a separate thread & decided to give it a try & see if it resolved my problem. So it was only by chance that I managed to get things working. If I had not chanced on this I would have been restricted to TC3 as TC4 was not an option with no wifi support.

For the purposes of finding things such as the rt2860 driver the contents of the list files really need to be searchable through something like the search function in Appbrowser so that users can find the correct extension.

I have only just begun upgrading from TC3 to TC4 on my eeepc as I noticed the RT2860 driver file was not transferred across &  my initial attempt at using TC4 showed something was missing that was required by this wifi card, but there was no information I could find as to how to upgrade to TC4 when this card was present. I realise the developers don't have access to all hardware that is used, but personally I felt a bit excluded from the upgrade due to the lack or information on potential problems & possible solutions. The migration of a critical driver from a specific, readily identifiable, extension to a generic extension being a case in point.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »
The list file is searched via the Provides button.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
Thanks.

Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't know the .list file existed, I guess that's the 'Files' tab in Appbrowser (not ant my TC machine at present so can't check).

I came across a reference to firmware.tcz in a separate thread & decided to give it a try & see if it resolved my problem. So it was only by chance that I managed to get things working. If I had not chanced on this I would have been restricted to TC3 as TC4 was not an option with no wifi support.

For the purposes of finding things such as the rt2860 driver the contents of the list files really need to be searchable through something like the search function in Appbrowser so that users can find the correct extension.

I have only just begun upgrading from TC3 to TC4 on my eeepc as I noticed the RT2860 driver file was not transferred across &  my initial attempt at using TC4 showed something was missing that was required by this wifi card, but there was no information I could find as to how to upgrade to TC4 when this card was present. I realise the developers don't have access to all hardware that is used, but personally I felt a bit excluded from the upgrade due to the lack or information on potential problems & possible solutions. The migration of a critical driver from a specific, readily identifiable, extension to a generic extension being a case in point.

Point one:
The files tab in appbrowser displays the contents of the extension's .list file. This is not a new feature.

Point two:
Changing the Search to Provides using the down arrow and entering rt2860 clearly displays the firmware.tcz extension.
Again the "provides" feature of appbrowser is not a new feature.

Point three:
... I realise the developers don't have access to all hardware that is used, but personally I felt a bit excluded ...
You are correct about not having access to all hardware, but the Wiki is available for anyone in the community and I have suggested that a "knowledge base" be established for for those wifi/ethernet cards that require firmware or other special setup feature, at least for the establishment of device creation so that the minimal wifi.sh can be used. No need for anymore other than device creation. See: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11685.msg61965.html#msg61965

I have publically advocated this and I am again asking the community to contribute to a Wifi knowledge base in the Wiki.
If such is established, I have indicated that, I will try to deploy such to improve my wifi.tcz extension.

Basic search/provides tools are already provided.  Sharing and contributing knowledge is the only way to improve wireless support in Core.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline hiro

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »
There are already lists of supported device ids in most driver sources. It might make a lot more sense to have this searchable for people who don't even know what chipset and drivers they need.

We could use a simple script to search every extension for certain file names and some awk to extract the device ids, but I'm not sure this should be given to users as it would require downloading *everything*. Perhaps in addition to .info files extension makers could provide .devid files?

Then, with lsusb and lspci we could have a script recommending extensions based on hardware ids.

I think I proposed something like this already, sorry if this is annoying anyone :D

Offline hiro

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:50:42 AM »
why doesn't rt2870-2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz.dep simply include firmware.tcz?

Offline hiro

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »
In firmware.tcz some old changelog entries are missing.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »
There are already lists of supported device ids in most driver sources. It might make a lot more sense to have this searchable for people who don't even know what chipset and drivers they need.

We could use a simple script to search every extension for certain file names and some awk to extract the device ids, but I'm not sure this should be given to users as it would require downloading *everything*. Perhaps in addition to .info files extension makers could provide .devid files?

Then, with lsusb and lspci we could have a script recommending extensions based on hardware ids.

I think I proposed something like this already, sorry if this is annoying anyone :D
I have been advocating the same thing, except rather than scatter the howto by device id among the info files, keep such all in one place, the Wiki.

Anyone can contribute to the Wiki. If we establish a knowledge base by device id with specific instructions.

lspci -v and your device id is xxxx then, for example,  these are the steps needed to get your card working;

1. Use boot code blacklist
    blacklist=this blacklist-that
2. Have extensions loaded onboot, firmware_this.tcz, wifi.tcz

In the Wiki anyone can contribute and everyone will benefit.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.