WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ezremaster is awesome!! have a couple of questions about my lateset remaster??  (Read 9087 times)

Offline coreplayer2

I know this is not the only remastering tool available but I got to hand it to Mr Smith; this script is awesome, THANKS :)

All my applications, scripts and extensions work flawlessly, meanwhile I have some small undesired anomaly's  Three actually..

1st item,  Since remastering I've acquired an undesirable boot menu which stops progress temporarily until a selection is made or a time out is reached..   
I receive the Tinycore Distribution message and "Press <Enter> to begin or F2, F3, or F4 to view boot options" message.

So, I don't think we need these boot option, which is one of many reasons we made the remaster to begin with,  I need to reduce this time out period, any ideas please?   Or am I forced to make a remaster of the tinycore iso to use as the base for the final remaster??

2nd item,    After the remaster, the wallpaper has not been retained.  the wallpaper still exists but is not select for use (perhaps home/tc/.setbackground???)  well this apears to have got the job done, but as always there is probably a better way??

3rd item,  and even the wbar items are back to normal after a remaster. (perhaps make a backup of  "xwbar.lst" to a settings extension??)

I am thinking there must be a config file for each of these last two items which needs backing up into mydata.tgz file or a settings extension, but I'm scratching my head here looking for best solution, anyone with a more apropriate fix is appreciated.
 :-\
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:48:15 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Hi coreplayer2
On the first item, you need to alter the config file for the bootloader you are using. You are looking
for a line that says something like  timeout 30  or  timeout 300. Those numbers would both
represent 30 seconds, adjust it to suit your needs.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
1st item (isolunix prompt at boot) - When you get to the last page of ezremaster click the link for "ISO Directory" (defaults to /tmp/ezremaster/image).   This will open a terminal.   Then type "sudo vi boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg"  Change the "timeout 600" line to whatever you would like the timeout to be and the save the file and exit vi (:wq!).   The isolinux timeout is the number of 1/10 seconds to wait (i.e. timeout 600 = 1 minute)

2nd item - By default the home directory and /opt/backgrounds should be included in the mydata.tgz backup, and you should be able to select your mydata.tgz file on the second page of ezremaster which should have your remaster include your custom wallpaper.   Is this not working for you?

3rd item - On the last page of exremaster  click the link for "ISO Directory" (defaults to /tmp/ezremaster/image).   Then type "sudo cp /mnt/sda1/tce/xwbar.lst cde/xwbar.lst" (You will need to change the /mnt/sda1/tce/xwbar.lst to whatever the correct path is on your system)  I've never tried including a xwbar.lst in a remaster like this, but I believe it will work (let us know if you try it)

Let me know if you have any other problems or questions. 

Brian
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:42:39 PM by ixbrian »

Offline coreplayer2

Thanks for the reply.

2nd item - By default the home directory and /opt/backgrounds should be included in the mydata.tgz backup, and you should be able to select your mydata.tgz file on the second page of ezremaster which should have your remaster include your custom wallpaper.   Is this not working for you?

Ok yes and no is the best I can answer.    After the remaster, the wallpaper has been saved in it's original location "/opt/backgrounds", however the custom wallpaper is not selected and boots up to the default blue background and logo.   
Instead I created an extension for local setting like this one  "home/tc/.setbackground"  which enables the custom wallpaper to be loaded at boot.
This is a workable solution, I just don't know if it's the most appropriate one. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 06:14:00 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
Thanks for the reply.

Ok yes and no is the best I can answer.    After the remaster, the wallpaper has been saved in it's original location "/opt/backgrounds", however the custom wallpaper is not selected and boots up to the default blue background and logo.   
Instead I created an extension for local setting like this one  "home/tc/.setbackground"  which enables the custom wallpaper to be loaded at boot.
This is a workable solution, I just don't know if it's the most appropriate one.

I just tried it out and all I had to do was select my "mydata.tgz" file on the second page of ezremaster and my background was restored when the remaster booted.   Can you confirm if your mydata.tgz file includes your wallpaper image under /opt/backgounds and also contains your /home/tc/.setbackground file?    Are you using a different window manager or something?

Offline coreplayer2

At that time yes the wallpaper was included in the "mydata" backup and it is present in the opt/backgrounds directory yet it is not displayed on boot up on the remastered iso.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
At that time yes the wallpaper was included in the "mydata" backup and it is present in the opt/backgrounds directory yet it is not displayed on boot up on the remastered iso.

So after you did the remaster you had the wallpaper in /opt/backgrounds, but did you have a ".setbackground" in your home directory?   If .setbackground is in your mydata.tgz backup and you selected your mydata.tgz backup in ezremaster it should be there in the remaster.    Are you using a bootcode to set a different user name?   Are you using a different window manager?

Offline coreplayer2

everyday the tangled ball of twine unfolds a little more..

Originally I was not aware of the setbackground file, then after finding it, I found including it in a settings extension was undesirable also, although saving ".setbackground" and a background image in mydata.tgz  has completely resolved this 2nd issue thanks.  We now boot to a custom background image on every remastered iso 

editing (what i believe to be a wbar default file) dot.wbar to my preference and saving that also in the mydata.tgz via .filetool.lst file has resolved issue #3 also

Am still attempting to fix the boot time out issue, which is not going well atm!   there appears to be a minimum timeout regardless of how small a wait is specified.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:44:46 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
everyday the tangled ball of twine unfolds a little more..

Originally I was not aware of the setbackground file, then after finding it, I found including it in a settings extension was undesirable also, although saving ".setbackground" and a background image in mydata.tgz  has completely resolved this 2nd issue thanks.  We now boot to a custom background image on every remastered iso 

editing (what i believe to be a wbar default file) dot.wbar to my preference and saving that also in the mydata.tgz via .filetool.lst file has resolved issue #3 also

Am still attempting to fix the boot time out issue, which is not going well atm!   there appears to be a minimum timeout regardless of how small a wait is specified.

There isn't any minimum isolinux timeout that I know of.   What happens when you set it to 0 or to 1?   If it isn't working can you verify that the isolinux.cfg file was updated and has the new timeout value after the remaster boots?

Offline coreplayer2

Re: ezremaster is awesome!! have a couple of questions about my lat remaster??
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
thanks for your follow up.

You are correct thanks, no limit as long as the number is positive.  A timout of 1 works on a VM great but a CD had some reliability questions with that, so went with 10 instead which gives consistantly slow results. :P

I could not detect the difference in changing PROMPT to either 0 or 1,  it should only show boot options when Ctrl key is pressed with PROMPT 0  (I think it's Ctrl anyhow), otherwise with PROMPT 1 the menu options should show and timeout after the specified time..  also adding "ONTIMEOUT tinycore"  to the boot options appeared to help.   Whatever, the menu always appeared and any timeout less than 10  ie 1 appeared unreliable.    TIMEOUT 10  works for me, at least you can see the cursor transition to the next line after one second, which is ok when booting a VM but a CD? forget it!!  10 ie one second (I think)  is like an eternity when booting a real pc with a cd, which times at 30 to 40 seconds sitting waiting at the isolinux boot menu.   I think the issue is a slow reading cd and the quiet boot option which was applied during remaster.  It just seams that we have to wait 30-40 seconds for the cd to be read whilst staring at the boot option only to have tinycore boot in 3 seconds or less when ready!!  Perhaps a Splash screen will help??

I found this to be the best reliable option

implicit 0   
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 10
ONTIMEOUT tinycore

This works, not ideal but works.  spent the better part of a day editing the remastered iso then testing in a VM to find a solution.

All my questions are a result of my wrong doing, I know there is a tutorial around here somewhere and I should have been more thorough in searching for it.   The remaster script has worked flawlessly every time THANKS

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 02:40:18 PM by coreplayer2 »