WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Newest version of Opera  (Read 9305 times)

Offline Xianwen Chen

Re: Newest version of Opera
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
Yeah, will do.

Oh, it was already at 11.60, the newest, forgot to update the info file.  Doing now.
Thank you Jason.

Offline Xianwen Chen

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
Yeah, will do.

Oh, it was already at 11.60, the newest, forgot to update the info file.  Doing now.
Hi Jason. I've just updated opera-11.tcz. However, when I type opera:about, it still says it is 11.52. Can you please have a look at it?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
Ok, I see it now.  But opera 11.60 crashes every time it is closed, and 11.52 does not do that.  I am not sure if there is any benefit from updating to 11.60, but I will do it tomorrow if time allows.  Thanks.

Offline Xianwen Chen

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »
Hi Jason,

If 11.60 crashes every time you close it, can you send a copy of it to be by email so I can test it on my laptop?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Thanks, but it crashes when just using their installer without packaging it, I tried in different paths but the same result.  Opera will crash without 24 bit color, but I ruled that out.

Offline Xianwen Chen

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
I've done testing it anyway. First of all, it crashes if the color depth is set to 16, which is confirmed by this email [1]. Second, it crashes when you close it, if color depth is set to 24 and Xvesa is used (similar problems are reported in for example, [2]). It indeed seems to be the graphic component of Opera 11.60 which is triggering the problem. Installing Xorg-7.6 actually solves the problem; however, it may not worth it to some (or most) of the Core Linux Opera users, as Opera may have been chosen simply because it consumes less resources and requires a small set of dependencies.

[1] http://my.opera.com/ruario/blog/2011/12/09/crash-on-startup-color-inversion-11-60
[2] http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=1201262&t=1326134828&page=1#comment11123412

EDIT #1 BTW, I used tar.bz2 and tar.xz formats when I was downloading binaries from opera.com.
EDIT #2 I just tested Opera Next 12.00 1213. Though libxft (53KB) is now required, this version of Opera runs fine with Xvesa. As it looks like that the crash problem in 11.60 has been fixed in the development of next version of Opera, I suggest we stay with Opera 11.52 for the moment. Guess we just got back to the origin.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 11:21:27 AM by Xianwen Chen »

Offline hiro

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
I've been using opera-next 12.0 build 1033 every day for months now and if you set the file dialog to X11 it's pretty stable.
I use more than 30 tabs at a time and only run filetool before going to standby just to go sure the sessions are safe. When I ever have to (re)start opera it is because of DNS or kernel issues. But I never lost a tab.
I'd say forget opera11. Since the beginning of opera 9 there's never been any usable version for me (which is why I switched to dillo), but with 12.0 everything works just fine, I can even use java script and the olde flash10 without problems.

Offline hiro

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
I never came to sharing my opera .xfilelist entries which save space, here they are:
Code: [Select]
home/tc/.adobe/Flash_Player/AssetCache                                                                                                         
home/tc/.macromedia/Flash_Player                                                                                                               
home/tc/.opera-next/application_cache                                                                                                           
home/tc/.opera-next/icons                                                                                                                       
home/tc/.opera-next/temporary_downloads                                                                                                         
home/tc/.opera-next/thumbnails                                                                                                                 
home/tc/.opera-next/widgets                                                                                                                     
home/tc/.opera-next/cache                                                                                                                       
home/tc/.opera-next/pstorage                                                                                                                   
home/tc/.opera-next/opcache                                                                                                                     
home/tc/.opera-next/vps                                                                                                                         
home/tc/.opera-next/mail                                                                                                                       

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
Xianwen -  thanks for testing deeper and finding out more, I  never use Xorg so I would not have noticed that Opera does not crash then.  I would be certain that the Opera folks to not test against the older Xvesa or think compatibility with Xvesa is a priority, so we may be stuck with this behavior in future releases.  In time we will see.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
Xianwen, also since I rarely use Opera and you seem very in tune with it, feel free to take over the maintenance of the extension if you want to.