WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC does not detect harddisk in VMware  (Read 9338 times)

Offline utechbv

TC does not detect harddisk in VMware
« on: October 17, 2011, 01:18:06 AM »
I followed instructions on installing TC in VMware from TC Wiki,
created IDE0 harddisk but somehow the TC 3.8.4 does not see that harddisk, only the CD-ROM drive so I am not able to install TC on virtual harddisk of VMware.  Does anyone know if there any additional tricks/tweaks need to be done in VMware to make TC detect virtual harddisk of VMware?

The strange thing that this used to work about a year ago with some older 3.x versions. I do remember installing TC in vmware some 1-2 years ago. Is something changed in VMware in past 2 years or in TC??

I am trying to use TC_install to make frugal install so that TC boots from harddisk in stead of ISO. Currently MOUNT TOOL does not detect harddisk.

BR,
Tim
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:55:47 AM by utechbv »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
Re: TC does not detect harddisk in VMware
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:51:16 AM »
I followed instructions on installing TC in VMware ..
do you have a link to the instructions you followed  ?
 .. it would help to know exactly what they are
 and what install method you intend to use

TC 3.8.4 does not see that harddisk, only the CD-ROM drive so I am not able to install TC on virtual harddisk of VMware.
if you just added a disk  it will need partitioning/formatting !
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 03:11:51 AM by dubcore »

Offline utechbv

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:58:00 AM »
Does disk needs to be pre-formatted already?? I thought TC_install module does all the partitioning/formatting when installing TC on HD.

Offline bsturgis

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:59:23 PM »
I got it working with a frugal install but had to make the hard drive and IDE drive.  Since the version of VMWARE workstation I was using didn't support it, I created a IDE hard drive with .vmdk extension in Virtualbox.  Then, copied it to the folder where the vmware workstation virtual files are keep.

Then, we I started the frugal install, I found sda as the drive to use.  The installation went fine then.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:44:49 AM »
In 4.x we specifically support VMWare pvscsi.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline saur0

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 03:45:10 AM »
I got it working with a frugal install but had to make the hard drive and IDE drive.  Since the version of VMWARE workstation I was using didn't support it, I created a IDE hard drive with .vmdk extension in Virtualbox.  Then, copied it to the folder where the vmware workstation virtual files are keep.

Then, we I started the frugal install, I found sda as the drive to use.  The installation went fine then.

I can second that, I got it working in VMware Workstation 8 after selecting IDE drive rather than the default SCSI