Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

tc-install and ab Permission denied errors

(1/4) > >>

roborob:
Hi,

I am new to linux and I am really excited about tinycore and microcore.  I have been able to install and use tinycore in a frugal configuration.  That works great! 

However, I am having quite a bit of trouble with microcore.  I have been able to install to sda1 and it looks like it is running.  (ifconfig displays data as expected.)  The problem is with installing applications.  I have tried ab and tc-load, and they both return the same error.

Downloading nodejs.tcz
wget: can’t open ‘nodejs.tcz.md5.txt’: Permission denied
Contacting distro.ibiblio.org (152.19.134.43:80)
wget: can’t open ‘nodejs.tcz’: Permission denied
md5sum: nodejs.tcz.md5.txt: No such file or directory
Error on nodejs.tcz

I can manually download the files via wget (into /mnt/sda1/tce/optional), however tc-install fails with a Permission denied error as well.

I have looked in the wiki and forums for hours and tried the few hints found therein, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might help with this situation?

Thanks!
-Robert

Rich:
Hi tcRobert
Welcome to the forum. Since you are just starting, maybe you should stay with Tinycore until you
learn a little more about Linux. Microcore is just Tinycore without the GUI. If you are looking to run
any GUI apps on Microcore you need to add Xlibs, Xprogs, and some other packages, essentially
turning it back into Tinycore. Start with Tinycore, get your hardware and applications set up, learn
about backups, and persistence for settings. tc-install is a GUI app.

roborob:
Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply.  No GUI apps please.  Just a fast linux box that can run node.js. 

I am comfortable with the command line, and I can google any commands I am unfamiliar with.  I only tried tc-install after ab failed. 

Perhaps this is a problem with microcore 4.0.2?  I will try an older distro while I'm waiting for something helpful to turn up here.  Thanks.

Rich:
Hi tcRobert
You can use the command line in Tinycore simply by opening a terminal. Even for command line
operations, it can be handy to have multiple terminals open.

roborob:
Hi Rich,

LOL, I'm not 'that' new.   

on another note: ab works as expected in microcore 3.8.4; node.js installed without issue.

one thing I observed while troubleshooting this issue:

in mc 3.8.4 the ab search returns nodejs.tcz as option 1.
in mc 4.0.2 the ab search returns nodejs.tcz as option 3.

Is there a configuration file for ab in 4.0.2 that may need to be updated?  This might explain why I would wget the files, presumably by manually entering the correct location on ibiblio.

Also, I need to correct my original post.  I was trying to use tce-load, not tce-install. 

Any help would be great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version