WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: DSL modem PPPOE connection Howto  (Read 20356 times)

Offline mountpeaks

DSL modem PPPOE connection Howto
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
There is a real mess in wiki and on forum on howto setup a pppoe connection. Some threads are either old or filled with dead links.
So, now I've installed TC on sdb1 I want to connect and download some fancy apps there.
I use DSL connection that I need to configure, but before that I need to download pppsetup or some ppp package from applications rep.
There is something wrong here isn't it?
So I've tried to do it from outside TC but it seems like only native application browser can download apps, so I should ask now, how do I get it running. There is no pppsetup or either ppp config tool on my installed TC system as far as I'm concerned. Teach me please how to setup PPPOE connection in TC while not being connected) to the internet.

Pseudoman

Re: DSL modem PPPOE connection Howto
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:23:52 PM »
It is possible to use the filltcedir script, written by Jason W, to download extensions that you need without access to the built-in appbrowser:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,7243.msg41574.html#msg41574
This script will allow you to download applications from another linux distro (via a terminal) or from Cygwin running under Windows. I use the latter option and it works fine.
I don't think that the script has been updated yet for the 4.x repo, but I was able to retrofit it to work. I'll attach it below:

Offline mountpeaks

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 04:28:32 AM »
Thanks for the script, it works greatly.
I've downloaded pppsetup.tcz but this program seems to be made for Dial Up modems that you cannot buy these days) ISDN and other prehistoric stuff.
It actually is useless for DSL modem because it doesn't have a desired option for a setup.
However, I've did everything by hand. Still no result. ppp-go do not work.
How do I know if TC really sees my modem?

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
Well, for starters: What kind of modem have you got, and how is it attached to your system?

In general any device detection usually spits out some information into the 'dmesg' output. Furthermore to check out more details for PCI devices (using the 'pci-utils.tcz' extension) the 'lspci' command can be used. Likewise for USB devices (using the 'usb-utils.tcz' extension) the 'lsusb' command provides valuable information.

Have you used the same system with a different Linux distribution? Because a lot could be learned from their configuration and quite possibly applied to TC.

Offline mountpeaks

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
Yes, I'm using a "pppoe-start" in arch to up my connection. Quite obvious that I use a DSL modem that is connected with cable to my laptop, I use login and pass to setup the network connection. Every time I connect my the internet my provider gives me a new IP address.
So this is it. TC ppp-setup util is made for dial-up modems that I used when I was still a pupil and had 56K software modem to connect to the internet. The only useful thing it does is creates a config that I should reedit by hand myself to get it into a decent shape. But unfortunately it still doesn't work.
This is indeed a big "?" these days when DSL(pppoe) connection should be running out-of-the-box on any distro.  Really, about 90% of internet users in my country use DSL modems. So I was surprised at TC not having just anything decent for this kind of setup so far((
Hope this will be fixed somehow.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:02:22 PM by mountpeaks »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »
Just curious, which country? Out here pppoe is exceedingly rare, the dsl modems are standard routers.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
I'm in New York and have a DSL modem. The connection between the modem and the phone
company is PPPoE, however, the other side of the modem connects directly to my NIC. The
modem deals with PPPoE, it's transparent to the user.

Offline floppy

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 02:31:15 AM »
Usefull?
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11509.msg61207.html#msg61207

Please put your "dsl" modem description here (model, "lsusb" result..). So, we will understand.
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline mountpeaks

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:26:36 AM »
Just curious, which country? Out here pppoe is exceedingly rare, the dsl modems are standard routers.
Belarus.
Not much of a target market, but national internet provider controls 99% of traffic and gives every client a ZTE/D-link dsl modem.

Offline mountpeaks

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »
Usefull?
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11509.msg61207.html#msg61207

Please put your "dsl" modem description here (model, "lsusb" result..). So, we will understand.
I have ZTE ZXDSL 831series. And its not a usb modem, It is connected to pc via standart lan cable. (see attachments)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 08:42:36 AM by Rich »

Offline mountpeaks

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
ok, pppsetup is a package not for DSL modems, it should either renamed or removed, not to misguide people.
Is there an option to take pppoe scripts from other distributions, maybe we can use it on TC, here is what I have on arch in my /usr/sbin/
Code: [Select]
ls /usr/sbin/ppp*
/usr/sbin/pppd     /usr/sbin/pppoe-connect    /usr/sbin/pppoe-server  /usr/sbin/pppoe-start   /usr/sbin/pppstats
/usr/sbin/pppdump  /usr/sbin/pppoe-discovery  /usr/sbin/pppoe-setup   /usr/sbin/pppoe-status
/usr/sbin/pppoe    /usr/sbin/pppoe-relay      /usr/sbin/pppoe-sniff   /usr/sbin/pppoe-stop
Should they work on TC, it could be just fine

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »
Hi mountpeaks
Those files appear to be for dial-up, some of them show up in the pppd.tcz extension.
Open a terminal and type  ifconfig  , you should see a response similar to this:
tc@box:~$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:B0:D0:01:0C:9D
          inet addr:192.168.1.46  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2870177 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1749228 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:3694431853  TX bytes:270184619
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x800
Make sure the  inet addr:  line is present. According to Google, this modem defaults to address
192.168.1.1, so make sure your network card is using 192.168.1.xxx.

Offline rhodius

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
Quote from: Rich
...Those files appear to be for dial-up, some of them show up in the pppd.tcz extension.
Open a terminal and type  ifconfig  , you should see a response similar to this:
tc@box:~$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:B0:D0:01:0C:9D
          inet addr:192.168.1.46  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2870177 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1749228 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:3694431853  TX bytes:270184619
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x800
Make sure the  inet addr:  line is present. According to Google, this modem defaults to address
192.168.1.1, so make sure your network card is using 192.168.1.xxx.

Hello Rich, I've been trying for 3 days to get Tiny Core connected through a DSL Modem. I've tried some solutions from the forum, but no joy. Using your example, when I look at output of the ifconfig command on my (connected) SliTaz box, there is no inet addr: line for eth0. What is the significance of that line, please?

I'm fascinated by the Tiny Core approach to things, and already have a persistant /tce/optional on my sda3 ext2 partition where I've successfully installed some stuff using the Local option of the AppsBrowser, but it would really be nice to get online with Tiny Core. I've gotten online through a DSL modem with any number of distributions using pppoe-setup (Roaring Penguin) or pppoeconf (Debian, maybe?), both simple dialog boxes. TIA.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »
Hi rhodius
The  inet addr:  line tells you what address has been assigned to your computer. Anytime your
computer talks to another piece of hardware on your network, it includes that address so that
the response will be sent back to your computer. Without it, you can not establish a network
connection. From the Roaring Penguin website:
Before you download this software, check whether or not you really need it. If your ISP uses PPPoE, but has given you a router, you may not need a PPPoE client on your Linux box. DHCP may work fine.
If your computer connects to the DSL modem using a network cable, I would expect it to be sufficient
to get your network card up and assign a gateway address.
Open up  CONTROL PANEL  and click on the  NETWORK  button, then enter the following values:
eth0
Use DHCP=no
IP Address=192.168.1.27
Network Mask=255.255.255.0
Broadcast=192.168.1.255
Gateway=192.168.1.1
NameServers=192.168.1.1
Click Apply and Exit, then try the  ifconfig  command again and see if the address was assigned.
If that does not work, then it is likely that your network card is not being detected or it requires
firmware. If that is the case, enter:
dmesg > dmesg.txtand attach the  dmesg.txt  file to your next post.

Offline rhodius

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »
Wow, Rich, thanks fore quick and detailed response!

...Click Apply and Exit, then try the  ifconfig  command again and see if the address was assigned.

OK, I followed your instruction and ifconfig showed the inet addr line, which I successfully pinged for whatever that might tell us.

So, do I proceed with pppd.tcz now and try to wring out a PPPoE configuration somehow, or is that NETWORK box sufficient now? I don't understand DHCP vs PPPoE - I've just always managed to connect by configuring pppoe-setup or pppoeconf and tweaking the applicable files if needed. Anyway, thanks again!