WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: WICD on TC4  (Read 2113 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
WICD on TC4
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:26:32 AM »
Latest WICD stable version. 1.7.0 is nearly 2 years old and known for its incompatibility with Python 2.7 There is a one year old beta version which behaves differently but still doesn't work at least on TC.

There is WICD version in TC3 repo depending on Python 2.6 but pygtk, pygobject for Python 2.6 are not available in TC4 repo, so you can't use it.

As WICD seems to be unmaintained by its author and I have no time to hunt for strange bugs, forget it in the TC4 repo. Also, while it was nice to have in the past, it is heavy on dependencies. You can use Robert's wifi.tcz instead.

All together I drop WICD and do not waste time till new official stable version available. If anyone can get it run with Python 2.7 on TC4 he/she is welcome.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline hiro

Re: WICD on TC4
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 05:22:35 AM »
I'm glad about this as it encourages using saner alternatives.
In addition to wifi.tcz don't forget you can also use wpa_supplicant directly. I also wrote roam.tcz, but I guess nobody uses it as it's very specific to my use case (switches between ethernet and wifi depending on whether there is a cable inserted or not).

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 05:20:47 AM »
ArslanS fixed WICD on TC4, it works now fine with Python 2.7 You can download it from repository. Package maintenance is passed to Arslan.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 05:47:28 AM »
ArslanS fixed WICD on TC4, it works now fine with Python 2.7 You can download it from repository. Package maintenance is passed to Arslan.

you are always free to contribute. i will share the build files (everything i have done not just wicd) in a few days in programming and scripting section of the forums

i just look at how other linux distros (mainly arch linux, gentoo and debian) build and port it to tiny core. sometimes patching the source if required using patches imported from open linux distros