WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core v4.0.2  (Read 26221 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Tiny Core v4.0.2
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »
Thanks, Robert.

I am booting off of a USB drive (created using the multicore iso) that has a frugal install of 4.0.2.

I simply added either "protect" or "secure" to the bootloader in "syslinux.cfg" such as

label plus
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz
   append initrd=/boot/tinycore.gz quiet waitusb=5 protect

The prompts for me to create passwords all went well but then wifi was gone.
You mean the Wifi icon on the launcher?
Not knowing how you installed to pendrive,  but from your boot stanza label plus, it would seem to indicate an iso image of multicore_4.0.2.  If so, you are missing the boot option of cde. The boot option cde will load all extensions in an iso image of microcore.

Might check if your pendrive still has a cde directory and then try adding the cde boot option.

On a live drive, i.e., not an iso image, you would have a tce directory.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline loubapache

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »
I copied all the files in /cde to /tce so I do not think that is the problem.  Everything else works.

Yes, it is the wifi icon in the wbar.  I click on it and it says there is no wifi device.  If I remove the protect or secure in the bootloader, then everything is fine.

The wifi tool is relatively a struggle in different machines.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:40:53 PM by loubapache »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »
Hmm. I cannot reproduce. I have both protect and secure in my extlinux.cfg and wifi.sh still works.

What does the command iwconfig show?

Offline loubapache

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
Thanks for your time.  Go to bed now and will continue tomorrow. (USA time)

Offline loubapache

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »
Hi, Robert:  I am back.

After a few turns of events, this issue (protect and wifi) is resolved. Thanks.

Here is what happened.

I was frustrated with this issue so I used the USB stick on a different computer (Dell 11z).  Well, Xorg would not start so I mv the mydata file and it booted up.  Then this little laptop has the Broadcom 1397 wifi card and TC cannot detect.  I have the Windows driver so I installed using ndiswrapper. Anyway, that did not work but I updated wifi.tcz.

No I went back to the original computer (Dell 6000), used protect, and used a clean mydata file and no wifi issues.  So it is working now.

I really like the concept of TC (along with Puppy) and thank you all.

Now if I can get a few other issues resolved, I would be using this more regularly.  8)   I am not using this post in trying to resolve the following issues but if anyone of you has already seen them, then please let me know.  Thank you in advance.

1) I could not get the Broadcom 1397 to work even with the Windows drivers.  I did a lot of searches but no real result.  If I run iwconfig, I got

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

The wireless router/network is on, BTW.

2) LibreOffice Autotext.  Cannot create autotext because that button is greyed out.

3) It would really be nice to have the tcz for the latest (current) chrome browser because it already has flash 11 built in.  The Chromium.tcz has Flash 10.

Thank you all.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:19:22 AM by loubapache »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 08:48:19 AM »
Heads Up! multicore_4.0.2.iso has been reposted to correct installation permission problems as reported in:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11676.msg61897.html#msg61897

Note: multicore is really only needed for those that do not have access to wired internet as multicore contains a preselected group of extensions. Note too that the installation extensions involved have also been udated in the repository.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »
I could not get the Broadcom 1397 to work even with the Windows

This hardware works with the wireless-3.0.3-tinycore, wl and ndiswrapper extensions for me

Offline loubapache

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
I could not get the Broadcom 1397 to work even with the Windows

This hardware works with the wireless-3.0.3-tinycore, wl and ndiswrapper extensions for me

Thanks.

I will try another time.  I did not have wireless-3.0.3-tinycore loaded.

Offline gfmoore

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 02:46:57 AM »
I'm sorry about this noob question, and I'm sure I'll kick myself when I get the answer, but what has happened to the /etc/X11 directory?

I emulate using VirtualBox and I'm trying to install the guest additions virtualbox-ose-additions which i did on the 3.x version.

I'm sure I didn't create it myself?

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 02:49:27 AM »
virtualbox needs Xorg to benefit guest additions video and mouse driver specifically
the change i believe which effects this is we don't put Xorg as a dep instead expect the user to choose Xorg version
but i recommend Xorg-7.6 for virtualbox users because current version is compiled with Xorg-7.6 headers so you might have incompatibility issues with Xorg-7.5 or lower versions
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 02:53:19 AM by Arslan S. »