WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tc 4 and nvidia  (Read 8074 times)

Offline huffpuff

tc 4 and nvidia
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:05:43 PM »
Are there any plans for fglrx and nvidia driver extensions for tiny core 4.0 in the works?

These proprietary drivers are essential for watchable video in tiny core on my platforms...

Offline MiniQ9

Re: tc 4 and nvidia
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
Get it from 3.8.4 repository.

Offline huffpuff

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
Helpful.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:06:10 PM »
Drivers compiled for 3.8.4 will not work for 4.0.

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:49:23 PM »
i have compiled nvidia and ati drivers for tcl 4.x and submitted nvidia drivers they will be available in repositories in a few days
but there is a problem with ati driver. computer locks up requiring a hard reset when i try to start X server

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:15:05 PM by Arslan S. »

Offline homoludens

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
OK thnx will await developments.

RE: fglrx - there can be a prob with permissions and the loading of the dri - it needs the correct mode set (0660) in xorg.conf. Just one possibility...

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
nvidia glx driver is incompatible with Xorg-7.6, unfortunately we have to wait till it is officially supported or try with Xorg-7.5

Offline loserguy

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:32:03 PM »
Thanks for the nvidia drivers, Arslan :)  I have tried with Xorg-7.5, and so far so good. I have a GeForce G105M on my laptop.

Edit: some hiccups, packages such as gtk2 have Xorg-7.6-lib as deps. Can we mix the libs?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:47:56 AM by loserguy »

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 04:16:39 AM »
Thanks for the nvidia drivers, Arslan :)  I have tried with Xorg-7.5, and so far so good. I have a GeForce G105M on my laptop.

Edit: some hiccups, packages such as gtk2 have Xorg-7.6-lib as deps. Can we mix the libs?

Xorg-7.5 is ok with Xorg-7.6-lib i think

ati-fglrx also works with Xorg-7.5 but radeon module should be blacklisted on boot

i have submitted ati drivers, nvidia module for tinycore64 kernel and required changes to dep and info files

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:21:01 AM »
Xorg 7.5 should work with Xorg-7.6-lib, as we have removed Xorg-7.5-lib from the repo on purpose and are using the 7.6 version to avoid file conflicts.  But please report any issues that may seem related to it.

Offline huffpuff

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 06:10:07 AM »
ati-fglrx also works with Xorg-7.5 but radeon module should be blacklisted on boot

I take it from this that you mean add 'blacklist=radeon' to the kernel line of the boot entry?

Offline Arslan S.

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:32:46 AM »

I take it from this that you mean add 'blacklist=radeon' to the kernel line of the boot entry?

yes blacklist=radeon bootcode is recommended method but there are other ways

the problem is two conflicting drivers radeon and fglrx are being loaded at the same time. radeon is loaded first because it is in graphics-KERNEL.tcz which is required by fglrx module

Offline huffpuff

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:53:13 PM »
And 'nouveau' is not presumably (from nvidia perspective)...

Not that full hardware acceleration is yet supported by nouveau (in any case).

Offline martin

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 01:04:41 AM »
Hello,
sorry to bump an old thread. Long time user and lurker. I love the potential of TCL and am very close to converting my main desktop to it.

Using Core 4.2.

A project I am working on involves a Dell Optiplex GX260 which I have plugged a PCI-e ATI 7500 (I think it is about 128MB onboard) into (disabled the onboard Intel video within the BIOS). This is to be a media centre. Everytime I load Xorg-7.5-3d or Xorg-7.6-3d, it keeps loading the radeon driver, even when I blacklist it at boot time. This will not give me fullscreen video. I compiled ATI-FGLRX, but it comes up with an error regarding not detecting the adapter. So I made sure that the recently compiled extension is loaded first in onboot.lst.

Still the radeon driver loads (with blacklisting). It is hooked up to a 1080p display and the playback looks like a box surrounded in black, even when "fullscreen".

Is anyone able to help me get this semi-old ATI card working? Have I missed a thread somewhere detailing this?

If anyone is able to help me get the ATI 7500 (I will double check to confirm this model number later) with full-screen semi or proper 2D acceleration, I promise to submit a new extension, for XBMC, which is what I want this working for anyway.

Thank you.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 01:57:07 AM »
Your card has not been supported by fglrx in years.

It may just be that the card can't do 1080p video in hw. xvinfo will tell you the maximum accelerated video size.
(IIRC XBMC doesn't support XV anymore, only GL, in which case the command is "glxinfo -l | grep MAX_TEX").

I advise against the GL output with such an old card; it will be tons slower than XV. If GL is the only thing XBMC can do, it'd be either different player or a newer card.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:01:30 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.