WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Virtualbox no hard disks :(  (Read 2244 times)

Offline wh1sp3r

Virtualbox no hard disks :(
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »
Hi, i have problem with tinycore, perhaps it needs some specific settings but ..

when i boot from virtual CD, everything works, but i can't see any other disks, only sr0 as a CDROM.
i have tried to make different types of harddrives, IDE, SATA .. still tinycore can't see them.

what i should do ? thank you very much.

EDIT: damn, sorry for wrong forum
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 11:37:58 AM by wh1sp3r »

Offline maro

Re: Virtualbox no hard disks :(
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 05:32:04 PM »
Your description is not detailed enough to give you any specific advice, so I can only wildly guess that you've created a new virtual disk, attached it to the VM (either to a SATA or IDE controller) and booted the VM from the CD-ROM (i.e. a TC ISO-image).

Of course with this scenario I won't be able to "see" the disks at that very stage via my "usual" method (which would be blkid /dev/[hs][dr]*). But using fdisk -l or dmesg | grep '[hs][dr][0-9a-z ]' would give me plenty of confirmation that the (virtual) disk is present. Bear in mind that a disk typically needs a partition table and formatting of that partition for it to more prominently "show up".

Offline wh1sp3r

Re: Virtualbox no hard disks :(
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:10:42 AM »
Hi, thanks,

yes, you are right, with fdisk, i can see my disk at it says, partition table is invalid :) that's nice, at least, i can create table and it will be ok.
thank you maro, and sorry for my not so specific information, i am learning linux :)