WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: first impression of RC1  (Read 10997 times)

Offline mikshaw

first impression of RC1
« on: December 02, 2008, 05:59:48 PM »
I was amazed at the booting speed...I just sat there for a minute thinking "Wow".
On my 600mHz/256mb system, Tiny Core booted faster than my nephew's PSP =o)
It seemed like it was something like 15 seconds from grub to desktop, but that's just a guess.

I was sad to see no built-in support for reiserfs....my system has only a tiny  ext partition for booting DSL and TC, and all my persistent data is stored on a reiser partition, so there's not much room for extensions, and definitely no room for persistent directories.  I'll probably need to build a reiser module and load that before loading/mounting everything else.

The appbrowser segfaults if you click on an empty extensions list...if it's what I think, it might also crash if there is a blank line in a populated list (that blank line seems to be pretty easy  to accidentally create in a FLTK browser).

EDIT: Yep, I timed it. It was exactly 15 seconds from GRUB to desktop.
Brilliant!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:38:01 PM by mikshaw »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: first impression of RC1
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
I was sad to see no built-in support for reiserfs....my system has only a tiny  ext partition for booting DSL and TC, and all my persistent data is stored on a reiser partition, so there's not much room for extensions, and definitely no room for persistent directories.  I'll probably need to build a reiser module and load that before loading/mounting everything else.
See filesystems-2.6.26 - I also use reiserfs a lot and this worked quite nicely.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 08:18:57 PM »
I obviously overlooked that several times =o)
Thanks.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 08:45:39 PM »
As an extension to that last question, I've been wondering how that might affect other things such as persistent home and other extensions.  For example, would having the filesystems extension on an ext3 filesystem load that extension before the persistent home is found so I could use a reiser extension for /home?  I'm sure I'll eventualy learn the answer after studying tc-config more thoroughly, but so far I haven't spent a lot of time with it.  If it turns out it won't work that way, I'd suggest a change to loading modules before anything else. However popular ext filesystem is and however unpopular reiserfs has become over the last several months, I personally feel that reiserfs is tons more reliable and should be made available (at least as an early-loaded module) as supported storage for extensions and persistent home.  I've had to fsck my ext partition many times over the last couple of years, sometimes as a result of corruption, but never had any trouble with my reiser partitions, and the reiser partitions get practically all the writing.