WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: A Script to Install the Tor Browser Bundle  (Read 29125 times)

Offline vitex

Re: A Script to Install the Tor Browser Bundle
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
HOWEVER - I gotta feeling my ISP is blocking - not sure - tried the BRIDGES METHOD (TOR solution) - but I get a "Vidalia goes half way" bar - then stalls...nothing cures it - tried a different wifi hit - they may have it blocked as well.
To better understand what is happening, activate a copy of the Bundle that you have not attempted to reconfigure.  Then select Vidalia's "Message Log" and "Advanced" options to see the steps that Vidalia takes to initialize the Bundle.  The last step should be "Bootstrapped 100%: Done".  At that point Vidalia will activate Aurora, which should eventually display a tab that verifies that you are connected to the Tor network.  It can take several minutes to get the Bundle working.

So...perhaps its the PROXY SETTINGS? I saw something where you set them all to localhost 8118 - and the last one to 9050 - tried that - same problems - halfway - stalls - hangs - no TOR.
Those settings were for using a stand-alone Tor with an existing browser.  The Tor Browser Bundle is self-contained and preconfigured.  See Aurora / Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Connection Settings to see how the Bundle configures Aurora's proxy. 

If you used the new -t option to build the Bundle with Tor listening on port 9050 instead of a random port and if you also have the regular Tor extension installed, the two versions of Tor may be interfering with one another.  Either remove the regular Tor extension or rebuild the Bundle without the -t option.

I also don't see a "TOR BUTTON" or any other indicator that the Aurora browser is using TOR....
See Aurora / Tools / Add-ons / Extensions.  You should always visit https://check.torproject.org/ to determine whether or not your browser is using the Tor network.

Offline meo

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »
Hi vitex!

Unfortunately I can't make the result of the script (the TorBrowser) work on the latest cut of TC (4.5.4). It seems to be a permission problem (but I'm not sure). Thankful for any indication of how to fix it. By the way when I download the Torbrowser bundle from the Tor site and extract it to a dir it works so it can't be impossible to run the Tor Browser from the current TC.

Have fun helping out in the TC community,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline vitex

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »
Unfortunately I can't make the result of the script (the TorBrowser) work on the latest cut of TC (4.5.4). It seems to be a permission problem (but I'm not sure).

I have attached a revised script that seems to fix the problem, which appears to be some program in the App directory that is dereferencing a symbolic link in such a way that the program is attempting to write to the read-only area where packages are loaded.  Since I no longer use Core, I decided to not take the time to isolate the exact cause of the problem; instead, I modified the script to copy the entire App directory to RAM at a cost of about 30 MB.

Offline meo

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2012, 04:09:19 AM »
Hi again vitex!

Thanks for a swift update! Will test it now. Thanks again!

Have fun helping others,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline netnomad

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
hi vitex,

after a flawless installation process of the tor-bundle,
i get a error message, when i start the programm:

connection error:
vidalia can't find out how to talk to tor because it can't access this file:
/opt/tor-browser_en-US_2.2.37-1/Data/Tor/port.conf

Offline meo

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Hi again vitex!

I think I'm stuck with the same problem. Vidalia won't even appear on the screen.

Have fun with computers and perhaps with TC,
meo

Offline ratracer

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »
i am interested in trying TBB on my TCL... is it possible to use this script with the latest version 4.5.6?
I rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »
Just mentioning for the record that you can easily use the extensions tor.tcz and privoxy.tcz as a simple tor setup with any browser you like. Just install both and follow the guide in the privoxy.tcz info file (from Apps tool e.g.). Install your favorite browser and point it to use the proxy. Browser proxy settings are normally somewhere at "settings => network => advanced" or similar.
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline solorin

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 05:07:33 AM »
relevant link - https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-web.html.en

you can also use torsocks in this manner.

however the tor project does *strongly* recommend you use tor button or the tor browser bundle.
see reasoning and reference links in this post -
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11315.msg73934.html#msg73934
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 05:22:16 AM by solorin »
. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----

Offline meo

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2012, 02:40:47 AM »
Hi guys!

Just wonder if someone is up to fix the script to make an extension of the tor browser bundle. I would appreciate that very much.

Have fun with TC,
meo