WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Updates no longer updating extensions after 3.8.2  (Read 5014 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Updates no longer updating extensions after 3.8.2
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
Since updating to 3.8.2 I can no longer complete updates in app audit..   the updates run and after selecting process updates I am prompted to reboot.   On next reboot I can run the updates and find the same extensions available to update once again, and again and again..

Something happened right??

Offline ETP

Re: Updates no longer updating extensions after 3.8.2
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
Since updating to 3.8.2 I can no longer complete updates in app audit..   the updates run and after selecting process updates I am prompted to reboot.   On next reboot I can run the updates and find the same extensions available to update once again, and again and again..

Something happened right??
You are not alone! I noticed it prior to 3.8.2 however starting with sqlite3.tcz released on 06/08/11. It happened again today with curl.tcz but is no longer happening with get flash.

Given that it is across multiple extensions I suspect a bug in the core. Do you wish to post a bug & link it to this thread?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:18:23 AM »
Not a bug in the core. Both curl.tcz and sqlite3.tcz do not have consistent zsync files. Extensions in the repository must be a consistent set. Both of the mentioned extensions have old zsync files. Therefore the result is actually a downgrade which is ignored by AppsAudit update process.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »
I have corrected both mentioned zsync files on ibiblio hosted repository. Updates should now work correctly.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »
Am curious what is a "zsync" ??

Also I have two machines with tc installed, one has 29 updates which still and continuously refuse to update, the same updates over and over after downloading, processing and rebooting..   the other has only 6 updates which also never get updated on reboot.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 12:15:56 PM »
zsync is what we use to only download changed parts, ie delta compression. No need to redownload all xxx mb of openoffice if the install script changed.

Please list those extensions that behave like that.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
Far too many for me to list but let me get you a couple of screenshots.. 
from two machines

and
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:16:56 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
curl.tcz was already addressed. getFlash.tcz is fine as I just updated mine.There is nothing wrong with wifi.tcz.

If no extensions are updated then it would suggest a local issue.
Perhaps check permission on tce directory or limited space on device holding tce directory?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »
Well I am a believer in coincidence so had wondered if there was some local issue. 

However it is a strange coincidence that these screenshots are from two separate PC's,  both had been upgraded from 3.7.1  (to 3.8 IIRC) then to 3.8.1 and finally 3.8.2   and for some reason neither PC will update any extensions now yet they did when the install was 3.7.1.  there is ample free space available on both.

There is only one commonality, that of how the upgrade was performed.  Each upgrade was accomplished by downloading and mounting the new ISO, copying both bzimage & tinycore.gz from the mounted ISO to the boot directories effectively replacing the old with the new then rebooting.. 

Ok so I fired up an old VM with tc v 3.7.1 on it, checked the tce directory and it's sub-directories, all have 775 permissions and set to tc user and staff group, this system also will no longer update any extensions however did a week ago when it was last used. ..

interestingly as a user I have full control to copy, delete any files in and out of the tce directory.  I  downloaded a movie directly to the tce directory and played it then copied it to the optional directory and then deleted it, all as a user only. 

This would indicate the issue is neither one of permissions or space..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:26:43 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »
I'm out of idea's

Three PC's all exhibiting the same phenomena. :( 

At least we know the issue is not specific to any tc version..

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 12:58:13 AM »
I notice that even though the updated files appear to be downloaded, after selecting process updates I check the extension and the file attributes have not changed from before the update session.  After a reboot the files are still the same..   I had assumed that when you select check for updates the new files are downloaded and copied over the old files, but this is not happening..
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:59:53 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline bernhard

• Wiki Author
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
is the following problem related or should I start a new thread?

When I "Check for Updates" I get on the Results page:

Error on fetch of /mnt/sdb1/tce/optional/dosfstools-3.tcz.md5.txt
    Scan for updates complete

strange enough:

There is neither a dosfstools-3 nor a dosfstools subdirectory in http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/src/
and the info link for dosfstools-3 on http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/index.html yields an error 404, but there is some info for  dosfstools (without -3)  ...

There is something for dosfstools-3 on http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/2.x/tcz/ but I don't have any idea how to guide apps-audit there ...

Bernhard

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 05:41:01 AM »
@Bernhard
There is nothing wrong with AppsAudit. What you are seeing is a stale extension in your tce directory. At one time you had dosfstools-3.tcz. When you see such you should be looking in your tce directory to possibly remove it. Such is not automatically removed because sometimes one has custom extensions that would not be on the pubic server and therefore would produce "Error on fetch.."

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:10:13 PM »
Error on fetch of   is common for me too, I get this same message for one of my extensions which is not on the download server.  Never had this before despite running update frequently, but clearly normal or at least expected behavior..

However this occurred one time since update to 3.8.2   
Running update returned an "error on fetch of..." every single installed extension on the drive   

While I can't be certain what happened, I believe this was the result of a temporary connection issue.

Meanwhile I still can not get any one of my 3 tinycore installations to update its extensions. 

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 10:43:35 AM »
As I stated elsewhere the submission of updated extensions require a corresponding updated zsync file.
Failure to do so will result in such extensions not being updated. Upon cursory look I find 91 extensions with either a stale zsync file or no zsync file. This likely is the cause of your issue. It is up to the extension maker to ensure that files submitted represent a consistent set else updates will not occur.

I stand corrected by Curaga and Jason, however, I still feel the submittal process should be reviewed.
Allow the extension maker to ensure the integrity of their submissions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:01:24 PM by roberts »