WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: getting sound working in Tinycore Linux  (Read 21736 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: getting sound working in Tinycore Linux
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 11:10:34 AM »
The blacklisting info in our wiki is for alsa autodetection. See the OSS wiki:

http://www.opensound.com/wiki/index.php/Tips_And_Tricks#Changing_the_default_sound_output

this looks promising, it mentions simply changing some elements in a file
so that TC defaults to the first soundcard that you put into the start of the list
....instead of what TC puts there.

thanks

Vince.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »
Hello

thanks ever so much for the advice about soundcards and soundchips in TinyCore Linux.

Your advice has worked correctly. I now have TinyCore sound coming out of my USB
soundcard plugged into USB.

I followed the simple instruction in the OSS sound wiki at the very end paragraph which
simply told users to edit a certain file and either shift the Order of the soundcard listings
or delete soundchips that you don't want TCL to find.

1) firstly i switched off OSS (i think i typed "sudo soundoff")
2) i changed the permissions of the OSSLIB file so that it could be edited.
3) i edited that  file in 2)  to leave only my USB souncard present in position one in the list.
4) i re-started OSS (i think by typing "sudo soundon"
5)i then used the command "sudo ossdevlinks -v -r" to relink the sound.
6) These 5 steps above then allowed TCL to use my USB soundcard for all sound in the operating
system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Alternative: $OSSLIBDIR/etc/installed_drivers influences the order of sound cards set by ossdetect. By removing other devices or moving the desired sound card to the first place, the default device can be modified. After the change, restart OSS and run "sudo ossdevlinks -v -r" and it will relink /dev/dsp for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so thanks very much to the forum.

These USB soundcards are only 50 cents NEW on Ebay.  They are CD quality sound and do not require and drivers in windows or Linux. They are handy when your laptop headphone socket is broken.

It had worked in Puppy Linux and Debian and Ubuntu right out of the box. I figured it was worth the
effort to get it working in Tinycore Linux.

Vince.

I shifted my USB sound card into first position and deleted all other references to
any soundchips in the computer.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 01:29:23 AM »
Hi,

Can't you deactivate your board sound card in BIOS ?
 ;D

D.

Offline Tahoe

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 12:55:21 PM »
Sorry for the late entry folks but I just had to thank Rich for his mention about running one or the other (I don't think you should run alsa and oss at the same time, pick one or the other). As I choose to run OSS, getting rid of the alsa stuff ironed me out. Everything's working beautifully now.
People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves. Well now, how about that?

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
Tahoe

i am not sure what your sound situation was with your computer?

in my case i have a laptop and it's internal sound chip and also
an external USB soundcard. (i did not want to use the internal sound chip)

Getting ALSA working in my situation was surprisingly simple as can be.

1)Boot your tinycore machine. (assuming you don't have any sound stuff present)
2)Install the alsa extension and alsa plugin.tcz and alsa.conf.tcz and alsa module 2.6.tzc
3)Unplug your USB soundcard  (if it was plugged in at boot up)
4) open a terminal and run the alsaconf script. Don't configure anything just exit it.
5) Plug your USB soundcard back in.

That's it. Your sound will now be working on your USB soundcard via the Alsa driver.

V.