WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SMF Upgrade to 2.0  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: SMF Upgrade to 2.0
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 08:33:21 AM »
Hi gutmensch
Thanks, I wasn't too worried, had it happened I would have simply done a soft reset on the modem
and forced an address change.
By the way, I think the new software is performing well. While I do miss not having my PM status
displayed, I enabled the pop up notification, we'll see how that works out. Thanks to all for their
hard work.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 05:33:45 AM »
Just for the record, hiro mailed his IP address to me and it was enlisted in almost every blacklisting service out there, statistics showed that this IP was blocked for about 70 out of 87 days total because of spamming activities. To make that clear again: No one has to fear, that he will be blocked because of a dynamic IP or NAT, that is completely unrelated. NAT only complicates the task of keeping the network "clean" for the provider. We're not running any special strict IP filtering either. If you encounter a block, your IP has been misused for spamming, please write down your IP, check it against blacklisting services and then file a complaint against your provider. It is in his interest to shutdown the spamming clients/users.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:37:31 AM by gutmensch »
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline robc

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 11:04:21 AM »
Can you un-bold the "Last post" text on the main forum.  It makes it hard to see the "Today" text.  That's my only complaint.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline hiro

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
I've never experienced any web page blocking whole ranges of ip addresses even from *reading access* like this, it's obviously not the way the internet works like.
I've seen that technique for mail, and it definitely annoyed me, but what you're doing here can only be described as web 3.0.

I really can't hinder other folks sharing my IP doing malicious things on the internet.
Please don't think I'm lazy or tell me my duties, I simply have no chance.
I still get blocked accessing the forum most of the time.

I'd like to make the suggestion to only use IP blacklisting for registering, so that credible registered users can still post. Now I can normally not even *read* the forum.

Offline hiro

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
I'd like to make the suggestion to only use IP blacklisting for registering, so that credible registered users can still post. Now I can normally not even *read* the forum.

So, technically possible, or not worth it?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 01:27:01 PM »
You can't blacklist someone until you already have to deal with the 14 spams that they just posted.

Offline hiro

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
You can't blacklist someone until you already have to deal with the 14 spams that they just posted.

Sorry, I don't understand this. Currently implemented there are general IP blacklists which block access to the server alltogether. I suggest using these blacklists in an other way, inside the forum software and only on registering, thus only once for each user.