WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: AppsAudit suggestion  (Read 2731 times)

Offline uggla

AppsAudit suggestion
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:25:22 AM »
My laptop has a hypersensitive touchpad which can be big trouble when using AppsAudit. Accidental clicking has several times added/removed items from onboot/ondemand. Sometimes this can easily be undone but I have a few times spent several minutes figuring out what was removed (there is no history of the changes done). This issue has already been discussed here http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=10602.msg56355#msg56355. A couple of solutions has been suggested and rejected. I have a solution that might be less intrusive. Why not highlight changes done by drawing the names of moved extensions in bold? Then it would be easy to find and undo an accidental click. The highlighting would of cause only last until AppsAudit is closed.

What do you think?

Regards
Uggla

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
Re: AppsAudit suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
occasionally i have the same problem, this is good solution for me

Offline vinnie

AppsAudit suggestion: 2nd impression
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:03:21 PM »
Another useful function might be able to keep the packages overwritten by an update.
Just recently, after updating gnutls, my desktop no more start; If I did not have a backup now I would be in trouble.
It could be enough a checkbox named "keep previous package" close to update processing button.
This button create a directory in ./tce/optional/previouspack storing old packages.
It's good idea?

Offline uggla

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 12:59:34 PM »
Some kind of extension rollback feature would be great.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 01:13:57 PM »
Since I don't use my laptops in my lap, I solved it by disabling the touch pad and using real mice instead.

Offline andrewb

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »
+1 for a reasonable compromise.

There are still problems when e.g. alsa is removed from OnBoot when alsamixergui is in OnDemand. As alsa is a dependency of alsamixergui it doesn't get added back to the left hand window & so can't be selected & put back into OnBoot. I use this setup as I don't always want/need alsamixergui so I have it in OnDemand rather than OnBoot. The issue with the touchpad accidentally registering a click in cases like this is even more inconvenient than the OP's initial issue as the removed extension has to be added back by manually editing onboot.lst.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:15:49 PM »
I use a touchpad exclusively and on three different machines without issue.
I have already discussed the issue with alsa.tcz being a dependent of alasconf and alsagui.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline andrewb

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
I have already discussed the issue with alsa.tcz being a dependent of alasconf and alsagui.

Robert,

I know we discussed it in another thread. It is still giving grief. It is OK now that I am aware of the problem, but it is not one that is an obvious effect of having something in OnDemand. I have posted a note in the wiki regarding this. It may need some editing if it is not completely clear, but it is as I view the problem and it's solution as an end-user.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 05:12:43 AM »

Maybe you should consider that not everyone has the same dexterity, familiarity and the same touchpad

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »

Robert,

I know we discussed it in another thread. It is still giving grief. It is OK now that I am aware of the problem, but it is not one that is an obvious effect of having something in OnDemand. I have posted a note in the wiki regarding this. It may need some editing if it is not completely clear, but it is as I view the problem and it's solution as an end-user.
Andrew, I finally get what your issue is. Even though you have double posted it, made a wiki item, and hijacked this topic. I have fouund it and solved it. I will be posting a 3.8.1 soon.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 08:31:41 AM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »

Maybe you should consider that not everyone has the same dexterity, familiarity and the same touchpad
The user interface of AppsAudit is consistent with all the other user interfaces in the base system.

As far as your comment about my dexerity:  I am 62, very low vision, and struggle with Muscular Dystrophy. That would seem to suggest that most would be more able than I.  I know that I cannot please everyone.

Offline vinnie

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »
The user interface of AppsAudit is consistent with all the other user interfaces in the base system.

As far as your comment about my dexerity:  I am 62, very low vision, and struggle with Muscular Dystrophy. That would seem to suggest that most would be more able than I.  I know that I cannot please everyone.

Yet, although I don't have similar complications, but accidental click on my touchpad are very common (dare I say fifty per day), obvious that only a small part of them occasionally take place in appsaudit.
But this is certainly not vital for the distro.

As for the insurance of updated packages? What do you think?

Offline uggla

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »

Not really, for AppsAudit to be consistent with AppBrowser it should have a Go button.

Offline uggla

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
Quote from: roberts link=topic=10602.msg56376#msg56376
Sorry, I cannot please everyone, but I have no interest in popup dialog confirmation boxes or the dreaded double click. Feature creep towards being like Windows is not in the cards.

You are using the "dreaded double click" in the Local window of AppBrowser, why not in AppsAudit?