WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: minitube 1.5  (Read 11597 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: minitube 1.5
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »
coreplayer 2

Hello

yes, i certainly can't have  multiple apps all seeing the soundcard at the same time (with oss)

my soundcard is USB and does not require any drivers for windows or Linux. For example,
if i plug the usb soundcard into other distros it is just found by alsaconf and correctly configured
with the alsa driver

in tinycore, alsoconf does not find my usb sound card at all. I started trying to read how to get
alsa going with soundcards but if alsaconf does not find the card then it can become tricky to
arrange.

So i never continued down the alsa road. I just use OSS and i am limited to ONE app seeing
the soundcard at any one time. Ssay youtube in firefox will grab the sound card so even if
no video is playing you can't then open "mpg123" player and listen to an mp3 song. It says
it can't lock onto the soundcard.

This soundcard works perfectly under alsa on other distros. Multiple sound sources are no
problem.....i just never got this USB soundcard working with alsa in tinycore

V

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 10:25:43 AM »
my soundcard is USB and does not require any drivers for windows or Linux
Well I think this is confusing since the device always needs a driver, just that a driver is already included for the device in larger OS's   Alsa is a driver for example, and in alsa you can select the sound card to use, so I'm wondering here if this is a notebook and the USB is a second sound card which adds to the confusion??

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »
hello

oh right, i see

So my usb soundcard finds standard drivers in win32 and in Linux it uses either alsa driver
or OSS or others.

Yes, you are right, it is a notebook that already contains a soundchip internally. The headphone socket
is poor on the notebook. The headphone socket of the notebook is a bad connection so at the very
best you can just about get audible sounds coming from the notebook speakers by having headphones
half-plugged into the headphone socket. The sound from the speakers is poor and it's not possible to get
any sound in the headphones.

So i use a USB soundcard plugged in. This works real good but is not ideal in TCL because alsa
is not driving it...(just OSS)

I know it is complex to arrange soundcards by blacklisting and  other stuff. Positions in the list
of devices as 1 or 0 or whatever. I never got the  USB soundcard working with alsa. Yet the usb soundcard is
found perfectly by alsaconf in other similar distros?  (i notice that other similar distros have a menu entry called "multiple sound cards")

It would be nice to have the usb soundcard fully working in tcl. This is because i could then do some music
work on the laptop and even look into the realtime kernel and jack.

Vince.