WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ALSA update to 1.0.24  (Read 9408 times)

Offline andrewb

Re: ALSA update to 1.0.24
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 06:16:04 AM »
The snd_hda_intel module modprobed fine here, but I don't have that hardware.

I am assuming that you don't also have the other alsa-modules extension loaded, as it can cause conflict with this one.

Found the problem. The soundcore module is missing. It doesn't appear to be compiled when 1.0.24 is made. I used the version from 1.0.23 in the repository as I saw that the stock alsa extension loaded this module when snd_hda_intel was modprobed. Seems to work so maybe there isn't any difference in soundcore from 1.0.23 to 1.0.24. I can't see soundcore.c so I can't figure out how it is generated. (& haven't dug into the configue & make files to find it yet.

Hdaanalyzer works with these modules ok. Now I have no sound outtput or input due to having changed some settings with hdaanalyzer. At least I can now map out what is happening in the sound system & start sorting it out.

My original problem was a lot of noise on the microphone input which seemed to be due to one of the gain / /amplifier circuits & hdaanalyzer is the only way of digging deep enough to sort it out.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 06:44:02 AM »
I'll look in to it soon, and try to find out what happened. 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
I see what has happened.  Soundcore is part of the kernel base sound architecture, not part of the alsa package.  Including it allows sound to work.  I will repackage alsa-driver.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 02:26:27 PM »
It is uploaded, try sound again.

Though the startup script does "touch /usr/local/tce.installed/alsa-modules-2.6.33.3-tinycore" and that prevents the loading of the alsa-modules extension when this one is loaded first after booting, it does not prevent failure to load alsa.tcz and others due to the missing alsa-modules extension that is called on by the dep files during boot.  I am not sure of how to solve this for on boot, may consider making the alsa-modules/alsa-driver a mention in the info file so the user can pick one.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:04:46 PM by Jason W »

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 01:22:14 AM »
Ok guys, I can jump in here with some strange issues and I have one of these snd-hda-intel devices ;-)

"/usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start" stops working with tc upgraded from 3.7.1 to 3.8.1. The reason is that "lspci -k" returns "Kernel modules" in 3.7.1 but not in 3.8.1 any longer, like
Code: [Select]
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
Kernel modules: r8169
I don't know exactly why, lspci comes from pci-utils, unrelated to base but it's maybe related to our busybox update?

If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 01:27:41 AM »
I guess it's the pci id map, generated by GNU depmod. It being a dep of alsa things should work.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:13 AM »
Good catch, curaga.
Had to do a depmod -a before running alsasound but now its working again. :) Thanks!
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »
I see the alsa modules now in the 4.x repo, and I will update alsa to 1.0.24 shortly, hopefully this week.