Off-Topic > Off-Topic - Tiny Core Lounge

bart PE

(1/1)

cast-fish:
Hello,

i was wondering if anybody tired the free "live windows CD disc" called BartPE.

it's like a "live Linux CD disc" but contains windows XP basic and you can add as
many tools into the burnt disc as you like. (e.g. audacity, moviemaker, etc etc)

What i was wondering is, it will be running in RAM right?......... totally

i expect it would be fast if you had lots of ram?

thanks

maro:

--- Quote ---i was wondering if anybody tired the free "live windows CD disc" called BartPE.

--- End quote ---
Well, this is not exactly yesterdays news. I mean these (and others like it) have been around for a few years ...

--- Quote ---What i was wondering is, it will be running in RAM right?......... totally

--- End quote ---
YEP

--- Quote ---i expect it would be fast if you had lots of ram?

--- End quote ---
Apart from the fact that it takes time to first load from the image into the RAM disk, the running system can be quite responsive. It really matters how much driver support and applications are included. Still no comparison IMHO to TC (or some other live Linux systems), but quite an OK choice for certain usage cases in the "world of Windows" (e.g. I've used BartPE created images to rescue some seriously screwed up XP systems).

There are several other tools which achieve similar outcomes, but in my view BartPE is the kind of "grandfather" of the lot.

cast-fish:
Yes.

I am messing around with these ideas.

I wanted to try it out

thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version