WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core Icons And Artwork  (Read 7985 times)

Offline h-munster

Tiny Core Icons And Artwork
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:08:23 AM »
Hello,

I have modified the a few of the TC icons by request, and I have recently been asked to work on more of the "base" TC icons.  The base icons include those representing:  app browser; apps audit; terminal emulator; generic symbol for binaries/executables (usually gears); control panel; mount tool; editor; shutdown/logout/reboot tool; run command.

As I am not a graphics designer, it occurred to me that such a big job is better suited for a professional.   There are no funds to hire a pro, but I have an idea.

My plan is to approach a design school with a strong graphics department, and see if they will make it an assignment for their students to create a cohesive set of icons with a logo for TC.  I would also like to see what they could come up with in regards to the overall look of the default TC desktop.

If a school agrees to take on this project, the students and faculty might ask:

1. what is the essence of TC -- how is TC distinctive from other distros?

2. what are the concepts and purpose of each base icon?

3. can the FLWM window borders/widgets can be hacked?

We see and use TC and these icons often, but sometimes it's not so easy to effectively state their meaning and essence of everyday things.  So, I am asking for your help in concisely verbalizing these concepts.

Any other ideas or input would also be appreciated.

By the way, Micro Core will probably be included in the logo.

Thanks!
   -Dale

Offline Guy

Re: Tiny Core Icons And Artwork
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15:10 AM »
Here are some ideas. Others may add more ideas.

1. what is the essence of TC -- how is TC distinctive from other distros?

Tinycore Linux begins as just a basic operating system, without many applications. Additional applications can then be installed.

Most other operating systems have many applications installed by default, some of which many people never use. With Tinycore you can choose which applications to install, and not have those you don't use.

Tinycore can be set up for any type of use, by installing the appropriate applications.

Quick Startup

Tinycore can be set up to start quicker than most other operating systems.

Minimum RAM Use

Tinycore can be set up to use less RAM than most other operating systems.

Frugal Install

Tinycore is installed frugally.

Most computer operating systems are installed conventionally. When installed this way, files throughout the operating system are modified as it is used. As a result of malfunctions, user error, malware, or just because the operating system is imperfect, files may becomes corrupted, and it may not work properly, or even work at all.

If an operating system is installed frugally, operating system files cannot be modified, so they cannot become corrupted. However, personal files and settings can be saved.

When the operating system starts, it is loaded to RAM, and runs from RAM. What is in RAM can be changed, but the original files can't. When the computer is turned off, everything in RAM is lost. When it is started again, the operating system is loaded to RAM again, so it always starts in a pristine state.

If Tinycore works the first time, it will work every time.

Quick Installation

Tinycore can be installed much quicker than most other operating systems.

Install on Hard Drive or USB Drive

Tinycore can be installed on a hard drive or USB drive.

Run from CD

Tinycore can be run from the CD. While running from the CD, you can install applications, and save files and settings, on the hard drive.

Computer

Tinycore can be run on new, high performance computers.

It can also be run on older, slower computers. Minimum performance requirements depend on which applications you install in Tinycore. Most applications will run on a computer with 256 mb of ram. Tinycore can be run on a computer with 128 mb of ram, with selected applications. It may not be worthwhile for most people to run Tinycore on a computer with less than 128 mb of ram, as even less applications will run. The absolute minimum to run Tinycore is 48 mb of ram.

The hard drive size required, also depends on which applications are installed. Tinycore is approximately 10 MB. Applications require additional space. It is ideal to also have a reasonable amount of space to save files.

Transfer to Another Computer

Whether installed a hard drive or USB drive, it can be transferred to another computer, and Tinycore can be run from that computer.

This is handy for people testing computers. If you have Tinycore installed on a hard drive, you can just connect the hard drive to the computer, and turn it on.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Guy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:20:21 AM »
What you may want to do if a school agrees to do this, is give them some live CDs of other distros, so they can run them on a computer, and see examples of icons used by other distros, to get ideas.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline h-munster

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:49:04 AM »
@Guy

All good points.

I was planning to give them some TC live CDs, but it never occurred to me to give them live CDs from other distros so that they can see how the icons and "feel" differentiate between TC and the others.  Very interesting idea!

Thanks!

Offline Hoodsey

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:20:38 PM »
Seeing I've been using TC for a short period of time, I've been wanting to design some default icons myself as well as a background. Keeping the TC principals in place may prove to be a challenge BUT possible.

The reasoning for me wanting to do this. I actually have an associate's degree in visual communication. I don't have a portfolio as where I'm originally from the graphics design field isn't a sought after occupation. That's why I joined the Army. I just wished there could be something done about the window borders, LOL.

Here's a revamp of the screw I've been working on:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57276439@N02/5983375875/in/photostream
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:18:36 PM by Hoodsey »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
The window border color can be changed :P
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Hoodsey

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:41:27 PM »
Still a work in progress. comments are welcome.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57276439@N02/5983976506/in/photostream

Offline h-munster

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 02:11:19 AM »
@Hoodsey
Very nice artwork!

One of the questions that needs to be answered is:  What is the significance of the "screw head?"

Offline h-munster

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:13 AM »
The window border color can be changed

Thanks!  That's great to know!

Can the icons for the window widgets be changed?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:57:25 AM »
One of the questions that needs to be answered is:  What is the significance of the "screw head?"
To convey that some assembly is required, i.e., we are not a turnkey distribution. The former tag line included "A toolkit for Linux". That tagline was dropped since we felt that it may convey that compiling from source was required, which of course, it is not. Since we have a screwdriver in the control panel, we went with a screw head. The former gear icons also fit the theme of "some assembly required". Being not a turnkey system, we don't really have many base icons. The current icon set, I believe fit rather well together. However, the base icons not with the current "theme" are, "Exit", "Aterm", "Editor", "Run", and "Mount". I suppose that also using a "hex head bolt" and back to some form of "gears" would be in line with our current theme.  Completely different themes could be suggested. Anything that would convey that Tiny Core is not a turnkey system.   
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:55:03 AM »
The window border color can be changed

Thanks!  That's great to know!

Can the icons for the window widgets be changed?

They aren't icons, they are hardcoded as far as I know. Changing would require editing the flwm source.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Hoodsey

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:04:01 AM »
little wallpaper I plan on using once I get my Tecra running smooth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57276439@N02/5984297015/in/photostream