WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: vboxusers error  (Read 3977 times)

Offline uggla

vboxusers error
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
Hi!

I have virtualbox-ose.tcz in my onboot.lst. It seems to work but every time I boot I get the following line written three times.
Code: [Select]
udevd[92]: specified group 'vboxusers' unknown

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: vboxusers error
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:27 PM »
Read the info file.

Offline uggla

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
The info-file says
You need to add virtualbox-ose.tcz to your onboot.lst for automatic group handling.

I have it in onboot.lst!

Offline uggla

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:33:43 PM »
I've also tried removing virtualbox-ose.tcz from my onboot.lst and adding the following lines to bootlocal.sh
Code: [Select]
addgroup -S vboxusers
addgroup tc vboxusers
but cd /dev/vboxusb fails.

Am I missing something?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
Please read the info file!

Comments:   For host USB devices support:
      1-) Download Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack and install it
         sudo VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack.vbox-extpack
      2-) You need to be in 'vboxusers' group. This is done automatically by install scripts
         but you may need to relogin or reboot for the first time installation to make sure you are in the group vboxusers.
      3-) You need to add virtualbox-ose.tcz to your onboot.lst for automatic group handling.
         If you want to use virtualbox-ose ondemand then you should manually add these commands to your bootlocal.sh
         addgroup -S vboxusers
         addgroup <user> vboxusers # <user>=tc by default

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:52:53 PM »
Hi uggla
The info file mentions that the install scripts set up group. Even though it's not mentioned, is it
possible you need to add   etc/group   to your backup?

Offline uggla

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
USB device support is working without the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack, it is only needed for USB 2.0 speed. When I have virtualbox-ose.tcz in onboot.lst USB device support works (without extension pack)! I only noted strange messages during boot.

USB device support should work when running virtualbox-ose ondemand as well (after adding addgroup -S vboxusers and addgroup tc vboxusers to bootlocal.sh) but it doesn't.

I'll check what happens when I add etc/group to my backup.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »
Section C explains why you get the missing group error.
Either add the indicated commands to bootlocal.sh, or do them once and add

etc/group
etc/gshadow

to /opt/.filetool.lst

Offline uggla

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
I only get the missing group error when I have virtualbox-ose.tcz in the onboot.lst and the info-file clearly states that the bootlocal commands are only needed when running ondemand (not the case).

Offline uggla

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »
Trying to get ondemand to work
-------------------------------------------

adding etc/group to my .filetool.lst didn't work (still couldn't cd /dev/vboxusb) but after also adding etc/gshadow it finally worked. Can I now remove the lines from bootlocal.sh? Why is the .filetool.lst lines needed, shouldn't it be enough with just the bootlocal.sh-lines? I've also noted that there are files called etc/group- and etc/gshadow- (notice the dash), is that ok?

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
Hi uggla
Whether you use back up or bootlocal I would think the end result would be the same.
I'm not sure why different methods would be listed for onboot and ondemand.
You only need back up OR bootlocal, not both.

Offline uggla

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
Backup isn't mentioned anywhere. Onboot handles the groups automatically (but gives an error). Ondemand needs setting up groups manually and the info-file mentions bootlocal. It turns out setting up groups manually using bootlocal fails! Using backup (not mentioned in the info-file) works.

Why do bootlocal fail?

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »
Hi uggla
I'm not a virtualbox-ose.tcz user so this might be a question for the extension maintainer.
So I take it your problem has been resolved.

Offline maro

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 01:26:58 AM »
As far as I can tell the whole thing is a matter of some unfortunate timing: My assumption is that the reported specified group 'vboxusers' unknown message is a consequence of the execution of the sudo /sbin/udevadm trigger command in '/usr/bin/tce-load' when the 'virtualbox-ose.tcz' extension gets installed. This extension contains in file '/lib/udev/rules.d/60-virtualbox.rules' an entry of
    KERNEL=="vboxdrv", GROUP="vboxusers", ENV{ACL_MANAGE}="1"

The same extension also contains in it's startup file '/usr/local/tce.installed/virtualbox-ose' the two commands which first create the group in question (via addgroup -S vboxusers) and then add the (default) user to that group (via addgroup ${TCUSER} vboxusers).

So far so good, BUT the execution of the startup script of an extension in '/usr/bin/tce-setup' (via the sudo "$TCEINSTALLED"/$2 command, if the installation is NOT for an "onboot case") happens after the execution of 'udevadm trigger'. Well, in case of an "onboot" installation the execution of all startup scripts is even further delayed as they are not executed by '/usr/bin/tce-load' but at the very end of the execution of '/usr/bin/tce-setup' (which itself calls 'tce-load').

I guess any extension that contains kernel modules and hence results in the execution of 'udevadm trigger' will cause the reported message until the 'vboxusers' group becomes available.

Given all this I somewhat fail to see how moving those two 'addgroup' commands into '/opt/bootlocal.sh' or restoring from backup a version of '/etc/group' and '/etc/gshadow' that contains a 'vboxusers' entry would help in avoiding the warning messages. As in '/etc/init.d/tc-config' the execution of '/usr/bin/tce-setup' occurs before the call to '/etc/init.d/tc-restore.sh' and '/opt/bootsync.sh' I'm a bit puzzled over this.

In my testing I've only seen the message twice showing up per boot process and I have as dependencies of 'virtualbox-ose.tcz' the 'graphics-KERNEL.tcz', 'i2c-KERNEL.tcz' and 'virtualbox-ose-modules-KERNEL.tcz' extension that would need to be installed. Additional extensions with kernel modules might trigger the message more often.

I guess in the end it's only important that 'udevadm trigger' gets called once with the 'vboxusers' group in place. OTOH having done this whole exercise mostly in theory I'm not sure which one is the "lucky call" that ends up creating '/dev/vboxdrv', but as long as it still works I'm not going to loose my sleep over it.