Tiny Core Base > Micro Core

Skip waitusb?

(1/4) > >>

whitelines2:
hey,

it seems its not possible to skip the waitusb=5 boot option. If i create a usb without mention of waitusb=5, i have to wait 5 seconds. If i change it to waitusb=1, i still have to wait 5 seconds.

Is there not a way to just skip the wait? Booting would be almost instant without it... Thanks.

Guy:
It depends on the computer and usb drive.

You can leave out waitusb and see what happens.

With many computers and usb drives, it will not work.

I have a computer which pauses longer when booting from a usb drive than when booting from a hard drive.

maro:
@whitelines2: If you have a set of extensions on your USB device (e.g. in a '/tce' directory structure) you need to ensure that the device has been recognised by the time TC (or MC) gets around to scanning all devices for such a directory. Even though you can provide some guidance with the 'tce=...' boot code to where the systems should expect to find the 'tce' directory, if the device is not yet ready the 'tce' directory won't be identified (and therefore not used). This should explain why one needs the 'waitusb=...' boot code.

To minimize the time spent with waiting the TC / MC installation script creates a boot code like waitusb=N:UUID="xxx-yyy" The "xxx-yyy" stands for the UUID of the device which uniquely identifies it (unlike a fixed name like 'sda' which would depend on the system configuration etc.). AFAIK the default is N=5, but I'm using a higher value (e.g. 15) to be sure that even my slowest hardware will be able to be recognised. Using a higher value is no disadvantage as the wait time will last only as long as what will be required to find the uniquely specified device.

If you OTOH would boot from a USB stick, but have the 'tce' directory on a (non-USB) hard disk the 'waitusb=...' boot code won't be needed (but the 'tce=...' boot code would still be a really good idea). I for one can not imagine why one would use such a "split setup", as putting the boot loader, kernel and initrd also on the hard disk would be the more obvious solution.

whitelines2:
Thanks for informative post. I don't need any extensions i just want to run a dd command in a startup script automatically (so need some kind of persistence in /etc/init.d...

Rich:
Hi whitelines2

Sounds like if you add your commands to  /opt/bootlocal.sh  you'll get what you are looking for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version