WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: installing flash problem  (Read 4265 times)

Offline eclectic-os

installing flash problem
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:48:30 AM »
Tried to install flash (getflash) several days, but without success.

First installed opera and oss, according to getflash comment.

getflash starts at some steps stops and says 'try later' .

Can't find topic about this issue, I'm the only one experiencing this problem  :-\

(oops, please move to extensions)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 07:51:26 AM by eclectic-os »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: installing flash problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »
the flash extension just changed, so it's likely you're not the only person that will have this experience.

if anyone still has the old getflash extension, perhaps they can submit it and it can be in the repository as "getflash9old.tce" with an info file that notes it's there in the event the newer extension isn't installing properly.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:04:51 AM »
The getflash extension works fine, I did not convert it's dep file in the gtk2 conversion.  Please try again, it should work.

Offline eclectic-os

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:00:51 PM »
After my post, installing didn't give an error anymore  ::) .

But browser still complained about lack off flash-plugin.

At some moment checking OSS I saw an entry in the apps menu, getflash9. Obviously, I didn't read the getflash-comment very well  :-\ !

Works fine now! 

Offline thane

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:51:03 PM »
Not a problem yet, but I'd like to add Flash to minefield. The getflash9.tce says it needs OSS. I've already downloaded ALSA to use with XMMS (the only combo I've found so far that plays my favorite streaming radio) and I'm just wondering if adding OSS would cause any conflicts.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:25:29 PM »
Not a problem yet, but I'd like to add Flash to minefield. The getflash9.tce says it needs OSS. I've already downloaded ALSA to use with XMMS (the only combo I've found so far that plays my favorite streaming radio) and I'm just wondering if adding OSS would cause any conflicts.

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1362.msg7666#msg7666

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 08:15:06 PM »

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1362.msg7666#msg7666

you used to be able to use both of them together, such as alsa for skype and oss for other things. i think it might be more complicated now, see the link jpeters posted.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »
When kernel module extensions are loaded, udevtrigger is run to load the modules saving the time and troubleshooting of using those extensions.  That does however prevent having alsa_modules.tcem and OSS installed at the same time.  To support extensions that depend on alsa libs,  I could remove the alsa.tcel.dep file that calls on alsa_modules and instead list the need for alsa_modules for sound in the info file.  That would still be simple but give more ability to install the alsa libs without the kernel modules that conflict with OSS.

Also, the getflash extension as well as the resulting flash install works natively with alsa.  No need for OSS per se, either will work fine.

Offline thane

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Since the getflash extension works with alsa I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Offline thane

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 02:33:46 AM »
Flash works!

"Lord, there goes Johnny Appleseed
He might pass by in the hour of need"

Edit: Well, it generally works. I ran across a site that tried to load so much flash content that it froze up the browser (minefield). Got around it by disabling flash. Maybe it's safer to leave flash disabled and only enable it when your at a site where you really want it?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 01:16:54 PM by thane »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 12:14:40 AM »
To support extensions that depend on alsa libs,  I could remove the alsa.tcel.dep file that calls on alsa_modules and instead list the need for alsa_modules for sound in the info file.  That would still be simple but give more ability to install the alsa libs without the kernel modules that conflict with OSS.

Probably just a libasound extension would do it.  I can submit one.