WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TCE faster and less write cycles?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Roberto A. Foglietta

• personal home page
TCE faster and less write cycles?
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:43:58 AM »
I have many TCZ and some TCE in particular kernel headers which take time to being extracted and consume write cycles on my SSD. Every TCE has its own md5 hash why does not check if the hash is installed into tclocal and in that case avoid to expand TCE? I think it would save time and write cycles.  :P

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: TCE faster and less write cycles?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 01:52:33 PM »
If you are using a tclocal then you should not need to keep tce. Should only be "installed" once.
But what it seems that you are suggesting is to try to support all three simultaneously?
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Roberto A. Foglietta

• personal home page
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:10:28 AM »
If you are using a tclocal then you should not need to keep tce. Should only be "installed" once.
But what it seems that you are suggesting is to try to support all three simultaneously?

From the perspective of the end user he/she install using application manager many tcz and some tce (just because they do not exist as tcz, like pppsetup) and then tce would be reinstalled over and  over (overwriting modifications) or he/she have to remove from tcedir (how he/she can learn this? after at least a destructive overwriting event happened). Ok, he/she removes tce once installed (or at least move into tce/installed) and then decided to boot without local= parameters: all tce content disappear from the system! I think the easiest way is to implement a check over md5 hash before installing tce (this implies that installation procedure need to copy md5 hash at the installation time and then check it). This modification could be useful in order to upgrade a tcz/tce too: application manager verify not only the tce/tcz is installed but the hash too and properly reacts.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 07:26:49 AM »
I see what you are saying, but it was not intended to boot with both a tce and local boot options. Having only local= directive, then tce PPI compatible extensions would install only once and is not retained. No action required from the user.

Your suggesting is to expand the PPI mode to simultaneous support both PPI and PPR by duplicating the storage of md5sums in the local store for comparision.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.