WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: internet browser recommendations  (Read 23007 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: internet browser recommendations
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:52:36 PM »
It is really not our problem what flash needs. Details like that would be added to the info of a flash extension, but such cannot be created, as Adobe does not let flash to be distributed freely.

I'll add this to the FAQ in the wiki though.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jls

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
sorry but with opera I cannot hear any sound, using flash 9 :'(
dCore user

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 06:14:35 PM »
sorry but with opera I cannot hear any sound, using flash 9 :'(
Please read the FAQ page on wiki. You need OSS and you have to copy libflashsupport from /usr/lib/oss/lib to /usr/local/lib/opera/plugins and /usr/lib

kagashe

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 03:03:05 AM »
It is really not our problem what flash needs. Details like that would be added to the info of a flash extension, but such cannot be created, as Adobe does not let flash to be distributed freely.

I'll add this to the FAQ in the wiki though.
It seems you have added gtk2 as a dependency in FAQ on wiki. Since Leafpad and its dependencies were already installed I thought only gtk2 was required for flash to work on Opera.

Later on I removed Leafpad with all dependencies and checked what was required specifically for flash plugin detection on Opera and found glib2 and gtk2.

Please add glib2 as well and sorry for this and it should make me a better tester (not make assumptions).

minefield already needs gtk2 and glib2, therefore flash just works on it after setting up plugin path and copying libflashplayer.so and libflashsupport.so to plugin folder and libflashsupport.so to /usr/lib as stated on wiki.

kagashe
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 05:04:06 AM by kagashe »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »
glib2 is a dependency to gtk2, so it will get dragged in with it, as well as fontconfig and expat.

Oh, no need to apologize, I appreciate your efforts :)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 12:49:02 AM »

yeah but if flash 9 is the most you can do (i want youtube and a few similar web applets, 9 does those) i think open source is almost there. well beyond my experience, but i don't know why people never make it into extensions/.deb/.rpm ... i read that it can do flv now, but no way to confirm it. i'd rather youtube with that than use adobe, given the option. adobe isn't stable either.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 03:50:13 AM »
We now have a flash9 download extension with download dependency check.
This automates the process. Works for either browser and seems quite stable to me.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 11:28:46 AM »
I just tried loading minefield followed by getflash9. Firefox comes up fine but does not play youtube videos. Is there something else necessary? Also tried Opera same results.

I'm not sure what "You must have downloaded browser and oss means? What OSS? Also, what does "you must have OSS started with the sound on the menu"?

I installed opera fired it up and it works fine. I then installed getflash9. I looked in the quick preferences and sound is enabled.
Any ideas?

edit:
silly me, oss is another extention for the sound system.

edit2:
OK, I think I have finally followed all the instructions. I installed Opera and OSS. I started OSS and turned sound on. I started up opera one time. I then installed getflash9. I then went over to youtube again. No dice, still get message I don't have latest flash player. Also, there are no plugins shown for opera.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:18:01 PM by bigpcman »
big pc man

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »
you still have to run getflash from the menu.

it should have been obvious to me too, i think a few people are going to have this issue.